A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Jupiter

Post 41

a visitor to planet earth

I saw Jupiter tonight in the east at 9.00pm and I saw two faint stars next to it, I hope they are two of its moons. I was using a 10x binoculars difficult to keep them still.

Jupiter

Post 42

Phil

It probably was two of jupiters moons. I can normally see three or four through the binoculars (10x) but as you say it can be a bit wobbly. I find leaning on a fencepost helps steady the binoculars.

Jupiter

Post 43

Woodpigeon

Yes, its more likely the moons, particularly if they all line up.

Jupiter

Post 44

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

The fascinating thing about Jupiter's moons, is that they orbit the planet really fast! They will noticibly change position even in a few hourssmiley - bigeyes

You will usually see the four main moons, but if you only see two or three it is because the other ones are either in front of or behind the planet(from our perspective in space).

Even a cheap pair of 7x50's will show the four main Galilean moons(some folk with *very* keen eyesight claim to be able to see them with the naked eye)

If, on the other hand you have a really big telescope (10inches upwards) you may be able to make out the actual shadows of the moons on Jupiter as they pass in front of it.

As for stability- there is a good chance that your bino's will be able to be attached to a tripod- there are various designs of adapter available to allow you to do this. It will be well worth the £30 upwards cost of a decent tripod, believe mesmiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more