A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What's been ruined for you?

Post 1

Researcher 168963

Just that. I've had lots of things ruined for me through people telling me stories or the like that I really didn't need to hear.

When I'd just started high school there was a teacher who fancied himself as a philosopher, and prided himself on his modern parables. He told a particularly nasty story that I've never forgotten and wouldn't ever repeat that ruined jam doughnuts forever for me.

My Grandad had his favourite piece of music, the Dance of the Reed flutes, ruined by a Cadbury's advert which was so memorable that the words still come to his mind when he hears the piece, and took all the seriousness from it.

Anyone else?

Post 2

Ste

Commercials ruin songs all of the time. smiley - grr

The Police song "So Lonely", when someone told me it was actually a song about "Sue Lawley" (BBC TV News person for non-Brit readers). But I think it actually improves the song, so never mind.

Stesmiley - earth

Post 3

Dr E Vibenstein (You know it is, it really is.)

Roy Orbison's "Crying" - I can't hear it without being reminded of the episode of Only Fools And Horses which featured a cabaret singer who couldn't pronounce the letter "r".

smiley - musicalnote"Cwying... cwying... cwyyyyying....."smiley - musicalnote

smiley - laugh and at the same time smiley - grr

Post 4

Stephen

Ponchielli's(almost certainly spelt wrong!) Dance of the Hours ruined by Alan Shermans utterly banal parody "Hello Mudder, Hello Fadder" (a long while ago though).

Almost anything ruined for ever by getting used to something better quality. I used to like cheap wine but now I've tried something a bit better........ Supermarket bread spoiled by trying home-made.

Post 5

Wand'rin star

Sex and drugs and rock 'n roll ruined by (late) middle age smiley - star

Post 6

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

Alan Sherman's 'Hello mudder, hello fadder', utterly ruined by seeing mushroom's dancing to the 'Dance of the Hours' in Fantasia. smiley - winkeye

smiley - shark

Post 7

Cheerful Dragon

Actually, the mushrooms in Fantasia where dancing to 'Danse Chinoise' (or 'Chinese Dance', if you prefer) from the Nutcracker Suite. 'Dance of the Hours' featured hippos, ostriches, elephants and crocodiles! Personally, I love both Fantasia and Fantasia 2000. Whatever Disney studio's intentions might have been back in 1939(?), the end product is, IMHO, a lot of fun! smiley - bigeyes

Post 8

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

My memory betrays me. smiley - blush

I haven't seen Fantasia for the best part of a decade.

smiley - shark

Post 9

Gnomon - time to move on

Verdi's Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves - the line "oh inspire us, Jehovah, with courage" has been ruined since I saw The Life of Brian. smiley - biggrin

Post 10

Cheerful Dragon

Part of the film 'Apollo 13' has been ruined by reading the book more than once. One day, when I was re-reading it, I wasn't really paying attention. I encountered the word 'FIDO' (Flight Dynamics Officer) and thought "That's a dog's name!" Now, when I hear Ed Harris say 'Give me a go / no-go for launch' and he gets to 'FIDO', I keep expecting a dog to sit up, go "Woof" and start wagging it's tail. The moment is ruined!

Post 11

milo

A friend ruined "what's in the box" at the end of Seven for me.

Post 12

Narapoia

Returning (briefly, I hope) to doughnuts...

I've never been able to think of them in the same way since I heard about Johnny Craddock's farewell line "may your doughnuts look like Fanny's"...

Post 13

Mu Beta

The entire film Top Gun, since I saw Hot Shots, because I just can't resist quoting 'Roger Milli Vanilli Chilly-Willy' and other inane dialogue at critical moments.

B

Post 14

Hilariously, I have just been playing Trojan Records Uptight box set.

Thereon was a song called 'Hello Mother', credited to 'Sherman'. No I thought, it couldn't possibly be...but to my absolute delight it was - a reggae version of Dance of the Hours, no lyrics, and credited to Allan Sherman.

smiley - magic

smiley - shark

Post 15

The Groob

Innocent childrens' programmes such as Teletubbies are ruined when the TV companies milk them for all they're worth, right down to the last penny smiley - sadface

Post 16

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

... My lunch today, after I rather foolishly decided to read Bizarre magazine over it smiley - ill

smiley - ale

Key: Complain about this post