A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Poor General Conditions

Post 381

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

As a footnote to the earlier discussion about poor light stopping play. In the Zimbabwe v NZ Test match, currently being played in NZ, when the Zimbabwe captain appealed that fielding was dangerous, the umpires agreed and stopped play with three overs still scheduled to be bowled.

The official reason for stopping play was "poor general conditions".
The poor light was being compounded by low mist plus dew on the grass.

The New Zealanders wanted to bat on but were overruled by the umpires.

Has anyone heard of this happenening elsewhere? It's a new one on me.

"Following-On"?

Post 382

Steve K.

The CricketUSA site is great, thanks Loony.

The "follow-on" rule ... uhhh, law ... is interesting. The equivalent in baseball would be, I guess, if the visiting team (always bats first in each of nine innings) is way ahead after the home team bats in the "bottom" of the eighth inning, the visiting team can make the home team bat again immediately, now in the ninth inning. Currently, the visiting team would bat in the "top" of the ninth, trying to score "insurance" runs. But with a "follow-on" rule (OK, now I'm on the baseball side smiley - smiley ), they would know exactly how many runs they need batting in the ninth inning, as they would be batting in the "bottom" of the inning, i.e. last. I like it.

I don't know how many runs ahead would be appropriate, but I may have mentioned the Houston Astros game where a friend said, "No problem, a touchdown and a field goal, we're back in this game".

"Following-On"?

Post 383

Linus...42, i guess that makes me the answer...

A belated congrats Loony...

How come only the women over there are any good...women PM and leader of the opposition, winning cricket and rugby teams...smiley - winkeye

"Following-On"?

Post 384

I blame the pill

"Following-On"?

Post 385

Perhaps you should go easy on those pills Loony smiley - winkeye

14 test wins in a row, now there is one record that will take a lot of beating !!!

How cricket Used To Be Played

Post 386

Junction relives the good old days
Another string was added to the Junction Oval bow yesterday. Australia played Victoria at cricket, neighboring office blocks were deserted as men in ties swapped keyboards for cans, and the City of Port Phillip quite possibly smashed all records for parking tickets meted out on a Tuesday in January...

From http://www.thepavilion.com.au

How cricket Used To Be Played

Post 387

I was hoping it was a day/nighter so i could go after work, as i;m working and staying nearby, but wasn't to be unfortunately smiley - sadface

Key: Complain about this post