A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Your Highness, I Object.

Post 1

EtherZev

Saudi Crown Prince Abdullah’s visit to George Bush created a small furore. According to a report from a Dallas newspaper the Prince’s aides requested (demanded) that no female airport personnel be involved in either his stopovers in American or his arrival at Waco Airport. Female “hostesses” traveled aboard the Prince’s flight, however.

Was this:

Political positioning.
A diplomatic gaffe.
A profoundly held religious belief.
Arrogant discourtesy.
A cheap shot at Western Culture.
An attempt to manufacture excuses in case the talks failed.

What do you think?

Your Highness, I Object.

Post 2

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

It could be any one (or more) of those and I wouldn't know. The details of this case are unknown to me. You can be pretty sure that Bush's aides know, but the public don't. This is the key to such political maneuvres (sp?).

Your Highness, I Object.

Post 3

Rocket Rod

I think that EtherZev is refering to this article:
http://www.dallasnews.com/latestnews/stories/042702dnnatsaudis.93e5d.html
Seems that misogyny lives on in some parts of the world smiley - tongueout
smiley - rocketRod

Your Highness, I Object.

Post 4

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

It's surprising, I know, but then racism is still alive in some parts of America, which is even more surprising.

Your Highness, I Object.

Post 5

Rocket Rod

Thankfully I'm an Aussie.

Your Highness, I Object.

Post 6

Mister Matty

Probably a prod at Western culture.

Relations between the United States and Saudi Arabia have soured in recent years. I think the Crown Prince is trying to demonstrate to the American's that they will not cow-tow to them. Like Israel, I think his message is "you are a friend to us, but you do not dominate us".

Key: Complain about this post