A Conversation for Ask h2g2

The Middle of 105

Post 1

Yelbakk

In Mike Oldfield's song, Moonlight Shadow, there is the line 'Caught in the middle of a 105'. Does anyone know the significance of that, other than the need to rhyme?

Yelbakk smiley - stiffdrink

The Middle of 105

Post 2

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

Looks like a police radio code:
105 - traffic control

I don't think that it's the Disneyland code:
105 - Attraction is operating at full capacity smiley - winkeye

The Middle of 105

Post 3

Yelbakk

Can't believe it's been almost eight years since I asked this, and suddenly I found the answer.

The song is about the murder of John Lennon. The "105" is actually 105 people who were around to witness the crime:
"The meaning of the line "Caught in the middle of a hundred and five" caused confusion for many years. Oldfield was finally asked about its meaning in an interview for his web site in 1995: "Well, it was a hundred and five people, just signifying a large amount of people, and presumably it was a hundred and five rather than a hundred and four or whatever because "five" rhymed with the next line!"."

Quote from: http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2895

Knew you'd be interested.

Y.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more