A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 3141

sabrielschild

"Mostly Harmless"!!! It FINALLY got delivered from Amazon smiley - biggrinsmiley - biggrin

Post 3142

Lizzbett

I've just finished 'Palace Pier' by Keith Waterhouse (picked up from the library in desperation). Not one of his better efforts. And it only took me two days to read, so I'm back to no book again alreadysmiley - erm.

Post 3143

Metal Chicken

About to start Jasper Fforde's "Big Over Easy", picked up in my local second hand bookshop - found in the crime section, obviously smiley - winkeye

Post 3144

Jim Lynn

Currently reading 'Collected Letters 2004' by Dave Sim.

Post 3145

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

I've just finished Plan B: Further thoughts on Faith by Anne Lamott, and A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. Absolutely brilliant, both of them!

Now reading - Born of Empire by Simon Brown. While on my hiatus, I would have liked to have mentioned his Keys of Power series, which is absorbing, and brilliant. Plus, Simon Brown is an Australian. (I'd suspected as much.)

Post 3146

Keith Miller yes that Keith Miller

Pesky Aussies!
I,m just finishing Ian Irvines four book series 'The Well of Echoes'.

If perchance you don,t like them, well then ,you can use them as boat anchors or brick walls, or even as ammunition for your local Catapault. Such is their weight and size.smiley - cheers

Post 3147

boddhisatva

Just started reading "The Little Friend" by Donna Tartt.
Unfortunate surname, but there you go!
Have just finished "Love All The People" by John Lahr (about Bill Hicks)
Good read, but does get repetitive especially the transcripts of the live shows.

Post 3148

Beer Elf

"love in the Time of Cholera" by Gabriel Garcie Marquez, and "all Fun and Games untill Someone Loses an Eye" by Christopher Brookmyre, although not simultaneously! Enjoying them both immenselysmiley - smiley

Post 3149

sabrielschild

im reading "the meaning of liff" by douglas adams and john lloyd - it's highly amusing smiley - laugh

Post 3150

Lord Wolfden - Howl with Pride

The Smoke Jumper by Nicolas Evens

Post 3151

The Smoke Jumper by Nicolas Evans

Post 3152

ooops sorry for double post

Post 3153

That's a good book, Taz, I've got it somewhere..

Post 3154

A Super Furry Animal

>> The Full Cupboard of Life (number 5 in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series) - nothing at all happens. Fab <<

Can someone please exlain the appeal of these novels? I read one and a half of them, then decided life was too short.

I need a new book to read. I never really got into Seventy Two Virgins...Boris Johnson is great as an MP and as a journalist, but not so good as a novelist.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 3155

Do you like fantasy? I can recommend a series and a bit, by Simon Brown. The first series is the Keys of Power books, Inheritance, Fire and Sword and Sovereign. The bit, is book one of his next series, the book (which I finished last night) was Born of Empire. Lots of blood and gore! The second book of the Keys of Power series is quite slow-moving for the first third, then it all bursts into action, and surprises abound. A great series! Especially if you like blood and gore.

The characterisation is brilliant, much better than the usual idea of what fantasy series are like...

Post 3156

Shirps

I'll look for those! I need something with a bit of oomph!!
smiley - dog

Post 3157

A Super Furry Animal

Not really into fantasy, apart from Pratchett (which is comedy, really)...proper skiffy is good (Le Guin, Banks) but hard to find.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 3158

Ridiculous Chicken† - a very absurd little bird

I'm just over halfway through Tess of the d'Ubervilles, but it's so gloomy that I don't think little me can cope with the rest of it. My fiancé gave me a copy because he likes that sort of thing - no wonder he's so depressed!

smiley - towel

Post 3159

A Super Furry Animal

I read that when I was xteen...wouldn't want to repeat the experience.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 3160

saintfrancesca

No. No. No. Not Tess of the d'Ubevilles. I had to do it in high school. smiley - erm The thing that amazed me was she got pregnant, but we couldn't figure out when the deed was done.

Just finished "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" by Alexander McCall Smith. Best read I've had in a long time ... but it wasn't long enough. Hope he's written some more since then.

smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post