A Conversation for Handy Latin Phrases

Warning: This Is Neither Helpful Nor Useful...

Post 1

Amanda

...but is, in fact, the only thing I garnered out of five years of Latin classes. And even still I'm sure the conjugations and tenses are all wrong, but still...You never know when you may need to use it.

"Agricolae est in villae cum bello puero."

The farmer is in the hut with the pretty boys.

Mmmmmm....college education!

Post 2

Spartus

Hey, about the only German I remember is, "You are a potato salad head," and we all know how useful that kind of thing is...

Post 3

Amanda

*Especially* in Germany!! Whoo-boy!

Post 4

Theakston's old Pingu

At least there could be a use for that - I propose "Quintus erat discus novus" as the most useless (and only) phrase that I remember from my Latin class...

Post 5

Ormondroyd

Again, apologies in advance for the spelling etc. - but I like "Illegitimi non carborundum".
It's a good slogan, applicable to the kind of people who make you study useless things like Latin. It means "Don't let the bastards grind you down." smiley - smiley

Post 6

Gavroche

Quintus erat discus novus....There were five new discs?

It has been many many many years since I took any Latin...please, help me. All I remember is semper ubi sub ubi, which I learned before I learned any Latin.
semper = always
ubi = where
sub = under

oh, sure, all of gaul is divided into three parts, but I forget the latin for it.

Post 7

Amanda

And then, of course, there's the really absurd notion that after X numbers of years of Latin, you should be perfectly capable of reading all the classics in their native form. The closest I got was "Vini, Vidi, Vici". smiley - winkeye

Post 8

Saint Acolyte Hezher - P. S. of Chocoholics, Keeper of Chocolate, muse of death by chocolate, Seraph of death by chocolate

I've just done a year of Ancient Greek and come away with the very useful skill of being able to order a Greek slave called Xanthias to hurry, carry the plough and walk to the field. Hmmmmm.

spudete, w Xanqias! ferete ton arotron kai badizete pros ton agron!

Although of course it should be in Greek letters.

My favourite Latin has to be "mater est servus, pater est canis" (Mother is a slave, father is a dog)!

Post 9

Saint Acolyte Hezher - P. S. of Chocoholics, Keeper of Chocolate, muse of death by chocolate, Seraph of death by chocolate

Sorry, it should be "w xanthias"

Post 10

MrWoo

Fascinating little dialogue you have learned! "Athenadze'?

Post 11

How did u guess?!?!?! smiley - smiley
Dikaeopolis and his fields will be with me for a long time I fear! Such wonderful stories... full of action... smiley - smiley

Post 12

MrWoo

I taught the stuff a while ago, so no real guess there, really. I visited your "space" on this service(?). Ooooh, splashy!!

Post 13

I try my best smiley - smiley

Post 14

MrWoo

So, what's life like in lil Londonborough these days. esti very thermon over here in ozland.

Post 15

Um, and in English that is?

Post 16

MrWoo

it's hot. But now it's cool and rainy; whoops, now it's not. Am I confusing? Maybe I should stick to the original topic, Latin phrases.

Post 17

Just a little confusing yes! smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more