This is the Message Centre for Esau Smith

Without doubt the worst place in the world

Post 1

Mekon

I lived in Basingstoke for 3 years but I was one of the lucky ones. I never spent more than 4 weekends there in that period and left for London. The place is a cultural and social vacuum. They have so much faith in their own town that the strapline is "Surprisingly good shopping". Brilliant.

Locals say the only way to get out of the city is to drive round the ring road as quickly as possible until you've reached enough velocity to escape the timewarp.

The verbal carpet bombing this place gets is completely justified.

Post 2

Monkey Boy

You're not wrong. But basingstoke does have one good thing going for it and that is BasingsToke (yup you guessed it another canabis related conversation appearing on h2g2) Have you ever been to Basing?

Post 3

g2h2g2h2

I lived in Basingstoke for 3 years but I was one of the lucky ones. I never spent more than 4 weekends there in that period and left for London.
- You can't have really been living there, can you?

The place is a cultural and social vacuum. They have so much faith in their own town that the strapline is "Surprisingly good shopping". Brilliant.
- Civic pride in Basingstoke is mediocre, according to a recent survey where half of the people recommended the town, and the other half didn't.

Locals say the only way to get out of the city is to drive round the ring road as quickly as possible until you've reached enough velocity to escape the timewarp.
- It is much quicker to go to the train station and catch a train out.

The verbal carpet bombing this place gets is completely justified.
- There are places which deserve more. Believe me.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Esau Smith

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more