A Conversation for Curved Space and the Fate of the Universe

Brilliant

Post 21

femptacallum

Also by the time we get to the heat death etc of the universe, some pretty chaotic stuff will have happened - its doubtful if we'll survive to know.

Brilliant

Post 22

BouncyBitInTheMiddle

Isn't our galaxy on a collision course with Andromeda anyway?

Brilliant

Post 23

Marjin, After a long time of procrastination back lurking

Maybe, a number of galaxies are indeed colliding. Mathematically this is no problem, as the expansion of space itself on a local scale is still much smaller than the relative velocities of nearby galaxies.

Speaking for humanity it would be a case of 'we apologise for the inconvenience' smiley - winkeye

Brilliant

Post 24

Recumbentman

Hadn't heard that about Andromeda. Will we get near enough to communicate with people on planets there, before the ultimate gang bang?

Brilliant

Post 25

ITIWBS

3-d noughts and crosses is played in a 4x4x4 cube, since if its played in a 3x3x3 cube, there's a trivial first move win*; just so long as the first player to move makes no mistakes in play, they always win, just as with 2-d noughts and crosses played on a 2x2 board.

Every time you add a dimension you make the side of the squares you're playing on one more than the dimensional number.

*Want to try a game?

bottom to top = h, for height
front to back = d, for depth
left to right = w, for width

In a 3x3x3 cube, I'll make my first move an x in space h2,d2,w2, the center cube of the stack.

Brilliant

Post 26

Gnomon - time to move on

The centre does give a huge advantage in 2d noughts and crosses as well.

Brilliant

Post 27

Gnomon - time to move on

Oh and Recumbentman, the collision of our galaxy with the Andromeda one won't necessarily affect our solar system. The stars are very far apart out here in the unfashionable Orion arm.

Brilliant

Post 28

Recumbentman

You mean we can just move through another galaxy like so much dark matter? Surely something's got to give?

And how can you make a mistake in 2d 2x2 noughts & crosses? Your second move must win whatever it is.

Brilliant

Post 29

Gnomon - time to move on

I think the centres will combine and the outsides will be pulled out of shape but the Earth should keep orbiting the Sun.

Brilliant

Post 30

ITIWBS

In a standard 3x3, 2-d game, the result is always a draw unless one player or the other makes a mistake.

This is also the case in 4x4x4, 3-d game.

Brilliant

Post 31

Recumbentman

>the result is always a draw unless one player or the other makes a mistake.

That is not saying a whole lot, all the same. The same can be said for chess smiley - winkeye

Anyway I was just referring to your typo "just as with 2-d noughts and crosses played on a 2x2 board."

Brilliant

Post 32

ITIWBS

Wasn't a typo, just more simplistic than 3-d in a 3x3x3 space, stipulated, its impossible to make a mistake in play in the 2-d, 2x2 format.

Brilliant

Post 33

Recumbentman

Ah, I get it.

Key: Complain about this post