This is the Message Centre for Cpt_Brik_SS_Titanic

hello from Oregon

Post 1

dim26trav

Nice to meet you Brik, I'm Tom from Oregon USA, I dont know anything about that old "star ship Titanic" unless it is like the White star liner in the Atlantic...at the bottom. As you will note while checking out my front page that I am a history buff and that while we Americans are engaged in some silly little exercse concerning who will be in the white house for the next four years, please ignore all of that. (Concentrate on Tony Blair)

While I am , like I said, from Oregon I like all things British (except warm beer). It was DNA's books that directly interested me in finding hootoo, so here I am. Although as we converse you will find out the many other British things I adore. I've been here for awhile so I know a thing or two (not much more though)

I've actually been to England once (London in the Summer) but I wont bore you with it all the details unless your really curious. I have seen the far side of eight jobs in my illustrious career including working on such minor projects such as the GPS and Space shuttle.

I hope that we can be friends.
adieu

Reply to Oregon

Post 2

Cpt_Brik_SS_Titanic

Thanks for your Missive.
I too am interested in History although I'm not particularly into the modern history (plus I'm not very good at it) but I do have a large bookshelf and a reasonable knowledge of how to referece it. setting that aside and onto more important matters.....
The SS Titanic (quoted from the BBC Radio Series currently airing "The Hitch Hiker Guide to the Galaxy (tertiary phase)" http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/ )

"Many speak of the legendary and gigantic Star Ship Titanic, a majestic and luxurious cruise liner launched from the ship building asteroids of archifactoral some hundreds of years ago now, and with good reason, it was sensationally beautiful , staggeringly huge and more pleasantly equipped than any ship in now what remains of history.
The Star Ship Titanic's prototype Infinite Improbability field was meant supposedly to ensure the it was infinitely improbable that anything would ever go wrong with any part of the ship.
The designers did not realise that because of the quasi reciprocal and circular nature of all improbability calculations, anything that was infinitely improbable was actually very likely to happen almost immediately
Thus when the Star Ship Titanic was launched it did not even manage to complete its very first radio message……an SOS, before undergoing a sudden and gratuitous total existence failure”

or you could take a look at http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/A5699 which gives you the description of the ship that appeared on the game itself

As for the the politics and concentrating on Tony Blair I really would rather not if I can at all help it, this is not because I particularly dislike the PM its just that I'm just not that interested in politics. I find that most polititions would try to convince you that black was white if it suited their ends and i'm pretty sure that isn't really what these institutions are supposed to be for and its not going to change the colour of custard!!!

I say old chap, what the devils wrong with a warm beer.
Actualy its not warm it's just not chilled, some good English ales should be drunk at room temperature and others are better chilled. I am told that it is an aquired taste but as I have grown up with the stuff it all just taste right to me smiley - cheers(although on hot days or if I'm anywhere with a really hot climate a chilled beer is the way to go pretty much all beer tasts foul if it gets too warm)

Your lines of work seem very interesting, just about the only thing that its even close to interesting (and that is using the description very loosly indeed)is that I used to print the leather cases for the in flight information pack on concorde (the ones that every body who ever went on concorde used to pinch, and who can blame them at the prices they used to charge)

oh well im going to have to go now
sorry it took so long to get back to you, can't think of an excuse right now but if one comes along i'll be sure to let you know

Brik

Reply to Oregon

Post 3

dim26trav

Thanks for the info on the Star Ship Titanc, I guess I should pay more attention when I read things like Adams works. I remeber the improbability drive and how Beeblebrox stole a ship with that type of drive but not the name of it.

Actually I dont drink any alcoholic beverages(much less warm beer), and not for any religious reasons, but I just cant stand the taste of alcohol of any sort and the times I have tried I have gotten raging headaches from the time I started sipping. Oh Well..I realize that you Brits love this thing called warm beer so I must make some comment about it.

As for politics my front page says all I can think of about it currently here in America. We are engaged in deciding which set of liars wil fill the post of President. Since I am part of a "third" party my choice has no chanceof becoming president, but at least I agree with them (Libertarian party). I really hate to vote for any "less worst cases".

I love to read and write about politics and I am as egalitarian as a person can be I really want to offer as much freedom as possible to as many people as I can. When a person prefers to remain bound by ignorance I will give it a shot at releasing them but if they fight me I will back off. (Value my own freedom too much).

Drink to the British Empire for me!

Reply to Oregon

Post 4

Cpt_Brik_SS_Titanic

Hi Tom

Hope that I find you & yours well

I am one of the many in Britain that doesn't vote, its a marvalouse thing in England that to not vote is actualy a vote (although most people don't know it)if enough of the population don't vote then it is counted as a vote of no confidence and the seat of power is returned to the Queen for 12 months after which another election is held and so on untill one of the party's get enough votes
I for one feel that the country would be in safe hands with the Queen where as I wouldn't trust the polititions as far as I could throw them

anyway enough of all that cause its all very silly (Monty Python has more chance of getting elected heresmiley - laugh)

actualy that might not be a bad Idea......

on to other things
The Heart of Gold was Zaphod's ship (or more presisely the ship that Zaphod stole). SS Titanic was a much more ancient ship

actually it only had passing remarks in the hitchhickers books so its not surprising that most people dont recall it.
It is getting a little better known now that the game and the book of the game have been released although I dont know if you can get the game anymore since the demise of the Digital village. as mentioned on the old personal space I only ended up here in the first place because I was looking for the Starship Titanic Forums
on these forums only those who had completed the game could put Cpt before their name (thus Cpt Brik) and therefore were their to help out. I used to spend hours on that Forum (sad isn't it ).
Once I discovered that the Forums were no longer there I tried H2G2 but that brought me to here to Good old Auntie BBC (I didn't go onto h2g2 very often back before the Beeb days but now I wish I had, I feel that I missed out on somthing but I dont know what????smiley - erm)but still at least H2G2 is still going unlike most of the Digital village stuff.

Oh look at me Babbleing on again, Sorry about that I am seeking treatment for it

Cheery oh for now then and dont feed the Donkeys
and if you find any chicken it's mine

Brik

p.s.
Of course I'll have a drink for you , in fact I think I'll Have two
(hope your not driving soonsmiley - cheers)

Reply to Oregon

Post 5

dim26trav

We call them Jack asses here and if we feed them they hang around much too long.

You can have all of my portion I dont drink (just never acquired a taste for it)

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Cpt_Brik_SS_Titanic

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more