This is the Message Centre for Skankyrich [?]

Rich The Rhino

Post 1

Skankyrich [?]

I'm not back yet. I'm at my mate G's, and we've been drinking a few beers and looking at the map I made at http://www.mapservices.org/myguestmap/map/richtherhino

If you haven't read about it yet, I want to meet you in April to celebrate h2g2's 10th birthday. I want to meet every Researcher who is willing to meet up with me. If you live in the UK or Ireland, it will be a hell of a lot easier. I will be dressed in a rhino costume at the time, to raise money for Douglas Adams' favourite charity (Save the Rhino) on h2g2's 10th birthday.

Details are at A44364242.

I have about 20 people signed up. I need more. If I can meet 100 people donating £10 each, we'd raise £1000, and that would be a great memorial to Douglas Adams and a great celebration of 10 years of this wonderful site.

If you have already signed up, please encourage your friends to do the same. I need pins on the map asap to plan things. Spread the word, please!

smiley - cheers

Rich The Rhino

Post 2

KB

"If I can meet 100 people donating £10 each, we'd raise £1000, and that would be a great memorial to Douglas Adams and a great celebration of 10 years"

Thank christ you're working in base 10. smiley - winkeye

Rich The Rhino

Post 3

U168592

Looking at the map Rich; me, Websailor, Elentari, Vip and ST MkII are all 'reasonably' close to one another - and could probably all get to Birmingham without too much trouble, if that would make things easier (I'm not speaking for the others mind you, just a thought).

Rich The Rhino

Post 4

Websailor

Agreed, so long as it is a civilised hour smiley - smileysmiley - bussmiley - bussmiley - bus are all or nothing smiley - grr I think Birmingham would be central for quite a few people.

Websailor smiley - dragon

Rich The Rhino

Post 5

Vip

Yup, Brum is a great place to gather people. It's already in my calender for next year! I might see if I can drum up some support from some Brummie ex-Researchers too (no promises though).

smiley - fairy

Rich The Rhino

Post 6

Elentari

I would absolutely be up for a Brum meet. Doesn't Z live in Birmingham too?

Rich The Rhino

Post 7

Mu Beta

A Birmingham Meet is certainly not out of the question for me.

B

Rich The Rhino

Post 8

Websailor

Elentari, he was training in Birmingham but he works somewhere else now.

Rich The Rhino

Post 9

Vip

I've mentioned it to DaSilva, who says he'll try to make it to Birmingham with us (but I'll have to remind him closer to the time).

Z is near Blackpool, I think.

smiley - fairy

Rich The Rhino

Post 10

Websailor

I have pointed Z in the direction of the relevant threads and Rich's article in smiley - thepost

Rich The Rhino

Post 11

U168592

Felonius Monk might be up for it, maybe, he lives near me. If we have a brummy meet where do people think's a good place? Near Snow Hill Station? Or we could make a day of it and visit the Sea Life Center or summink?

Rich The Rhino

Post 12

Websailor

I am not sure Rich will be available for a whole day, but the Sea Life centre sounds good to me. I am not in to pubs, but if I am free I will 'go with the flow'. It seems a long time off but days fly so I shall have to see.

Rich The Rhino

Post 13

U168592

Oh, I wasn't planning to abduct Rich for the day! smiley - laugh Although...nah, best not. smiley - winkeye

I was just thinking of a place that would be easy for him to find, not far from transport places or out of the way. He could pop by, we could take some happy snaps, give some moolah and send him on his way (and if someone was willing even transport him or accompany some of the way further on his trip - depending where he was off to next). The Sea Life Centre is just round the corner from Snow Hill I think.

Anyways, I've built this: A44851836 - rather than take over this thread smiley - winkeye

Rich The Rhino

Post 14

You can call me TC

Well I've added myself but I can't find myself. Somewhere near 2legs, anyway. So that makes 3 of us.

Rich The Rhino

Post 15

Opticalillusion- media mynx life would be boring without hiccups

Hey there Rich smiley - cheers I think having the link added to your tag is a great way of raising awareness smiley - smiley

smiley - goodluck in your charity work

opti smiley - bluebutterfly

Rich The Rhino

Post 16

Leo

I'd love to take a rhino out for coffee. There's a shop right next to my university. I'm looking forward.

Rich The Rhino

Post 17

Bagpuss

Yorkshire's looking very bare... I could always cross to Manchester of course.

Rich The Rhino

Post 18

Skankyrich [?]

This whole thing has just got fascinating smiley - smiley

Firstly, Matt's plan is a brilliant one, and thanks to everyone that's following that idea. At the moment there's Matt, Elentari, B and Odo, Websailor, ST, Vip and daSilva all in that area - have a Brum meet, have a great time, and I'll pop in and see you all. In terms of sheer numbers of people I can meet that's superb; it'll save me so much time that I'll be able to stop for a couple of pints, with a bit of luck. I'll hop over to that page and say hi very shortly smiley - smiley

There's a few little clusters like this forming - we could certainly try to get something similar going in the Manchester-Liverpool area, and I think the Scottish Researchers are normally pretty up for Meets. At the moment, it looks like Belfast is a possibility (KB, aren't you up there somewhere?) but TRiG is alone in the Republic, so unless there's a bit more interest in Dublin or north Wales it probably isn't going to be time-efficient for me to get there. I've spent ages working out how long it's going to take to get from place to place with a good run, and where I'm most likely to need a place to crash. And the fact that the markers aren't evenly-spaced makes it even more fascinating; Edinburgh to Preston is an empty space, for example, and some routes would leave me in the middle of that area as it gets dark. I'm starting to get a plan together slowly smiley - smiley

There are now exactly 30 people on the map, excluding Leo and Phred, who I might not be able to get to smiley - laugh

Rich The Rhino

Post 19

KB

"At the moment, it looks like Belfast is a possibility (KB, aren't you up there somewhere?)"

More or less, yup - Belfast would probably be the handiest hub for meeting the NI contingent in one fell swoop (and for convenience of getting there for you, too.)

Rich The Rhino

Post 20

Skankyrich [?]

I'll stick a marker in on Belfast for you, then smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post