A Conversation for (old version) The Even Deeper Meaning of Liff

Liff

Post 1

mondo

I'm impressed by just how up to date this Guide entry is. I've just finished reading the two Liff books, and finding this was quite coincidental.

Really liked some of the recent terms, Wood Enderby is a classic.

Liff

Post 2

wingpig

Cheers. The Dancing Tree removed 'Theddlethorpe All Saints', explained as "the area beneath an adolescent male's bedclothes after watching Top of the Pops". Join the campaign to have it reinstated.

also:

Old Bolingbroke (n)
The mad old war veteran who's allowed to sit in the corner of the pub muttering and occasionally going "whoosh! Took their filthy foreign legs right orf!" because he buys everyone drinks when drunk.

Billinghay (n)
The tired greeting given in response to meeting the same person for the eighth time that day.

Liff

Post 3

nipenguin

Bremerton (breh-mur-tun) (v). to drive in a constant jerky stop/go manner.

Chelan (shuh-laehn(adj). Descibing something of immense beauty that has no comparison.

Clatskanie (laht-skin-eye) (n). The feeling that somebody else is wearing your pants.

Morton (moore-tun) (exclaimation). For use when wishing to underplay extreme shock of something really wonderful. i.e. "Holy Toledo, Mossyrock and Morton!"

Mossyrock (do I really need to phoneticize this one?) (adj). of or pert. to the sheer excitemnt of the moment that just past you by a moment ago.

Puyallup (pew-owl-up) (adj). used to descibed the sour flowery smell usually found at perfume shops, hair salons and anywhere there is potpourri.

Spokane (spoh-can) (n). A persistant feeling of Clatskanie combined with too much alcohol.

Tacoma (tuh-coh-muh) (n). The tickly but painful, hollow feeling way back in your throat when you yawn deeply.

Tenino (teh-nigh-noh) (v). to know that it is way past your bed-time, but to stay up doing nothing important.

Toledo (toe-leed-oh) (Collective n). A group of religious leaders.

Vader (vay-dher) (n). Referring to a father who was never there for his children except for when he wanted something.

Yakima (yeah-kim-ahh) (n). The gagging/nauseated reflex caused by seeing two old people copulating.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more