A Conversation for Talking Point - School Lessons

Mathematics?

Post 21

2 of 3

I loved Maths at school.

It was my best subject. So much so that at A level I did Maths, Further Maths and Physics.

I was good at English Language too but didn't really care for it.

2/3

Mathematics?

Post 22

Frog_Perfect

Chemistry interfaces with all sciences? Well, doesn't physics? Physics basically constitues all natural sciences... the others are just specialized ways of looking at physical systems that are too complex for normal physics.

Mathematics?

Post 23

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

Not as well as chemistry. Take, for example, Biology. All matter is made up of atoms (which may link together to form molecules). Hence the behaviour of teeth, the strength of bones, muscle action, cell reproduction etc etc etc are all understood in terms of chemistry, rather than physics. i.e. chemical (and therefore biochemical) reactions are due to interactions of atoms at the electronic level. (Chemistry has beeen defined as 'the study of the behaviour of the electron') Physics, in my view, when it is dealing with atoms, is working at the sub-nuclear level. This would be unrecognisable and irrelevant to most biologists. (However, I agree, the biologist will use physical techniqques for studying his sytems - for example spectroscopic techniques. For example Scanning Probe Microscopy is being used to study nucleic acids at the atomic level, and antibody-antigen interactions. smiley - biggrin

Mathematics?

Post 24

Frog_Perfect

Well in my view, physics deals with matter on all levels. Maybe I just haven't had enough experiance yet.

Mathematics?

Post 25

Yes , well it does. of course. It's just that the biologist, f'instance doesn';t notice it most of the time.

smiley - biggrin

Mathematics?

Post 26

Frog_Perfect

True, I see your point. You win smiley - winkeye.

smiley - towel

Mathematics?

Post 27

smiley - ok

smiley - cheers

Have a consolation smiley - ale

smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post