A Conversation for Talking Point - School Lessons

Geography

Post 1

Jab [Since 29th November 2002]

Geography, it's not for girls, since it involves maps.

smiley - rofl


Geography

Post 2

XxDanni04xx

that is so sexist : )


Geography

Post 3

FUJIMAR

Geography alright when they teach you how to make a vocano and the trips but pants when it comes to learning about rocks. I also think that is sexist with my sister navigating to brighton we only got lost 16 timessmiley - tea


Geography

Post 4

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

The 'rocks' unit of study is now in 'Science' (in the English National Curriculum at least!)

smiley - biggrin


Geography

Post 5

FUJIMAR

Just goes to show how much i know smiley - tea


Geography

Post 6

XxDanni04xx

hello pplsmiley - cheerup


Geography

Post 7

FUJIMAR

Erm.... Hellosmiley - tea


Geography

Post 8

XxDanni04xx

hi smiley - biggrin


Geography

Post 9

XxDanni04xx

asl? smiley - smiley


Geography

Post 10

FUJIMAR

What does asl mean? and I'm going home now so I'll find out tomorrowsmiley - tea


Geography

Post 11

Jab [Since 29th November 2002]

Sexist, true, meant in fun though. Hey, men are bad at English - "won't ask for directions" is the balance. Though I do remember the very mention of six figure grid refrence, the girls would get that *you-what* look.

'Rocks' now science, I'm surprised... One of the good trip was to see the lime stone formations, Janets Foss (waterfall). What's next after rocks, moving climate graphs to maths?


Geography

Post 12

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

I think part of the rationale is that there is a lot of experimental work that is best done in the Science lab. At GCSE Level, ' rocks' falls into the Chemistry Specification. I know that a lot of chemistry teachers don't like teaching geology, but I enjoy it has I've always been interested in palaeontology/evolution. As I mentioned elsewhere, it is chemists who have the knowledge, vocabulary (and mathematical skills) to interact with scientists from all disciplines; thus making valuable contributrions that allow progress to be made.

smiley - biggrin


Geography

Post 13

2 of 3

I remember doing A-Level Geography for one year. This was mainly because every year the A-Level Geogrpahy group went on an overseas field trip and in my year they were going to Jamaica (I grew up in Barbados).

A trip to Jamaica was enough to convince me that Geography was the subject for me. At the end of the year I "dropped" it and took up Further Maths though.

I say "dropped" because I never officially dropped it, just stopped attending classes. I did the exam and got a U or N or something silly - but it wasn't an F.

2/3


Geography

Post 14

2 of 3

Why can't rocks be in both Science and Geography?

Do if you do geography but not science you won't learn about rocks then?

S


Key: Complain about this post