A Conversation for 'H2IQ' Revisited - 5

H2IQ Revisited - 16.09.04

Post 1

Post Team

All those who give vaguely the correct answer will have their name printed in the next published H2IQ. If you arrived here without knowing the question it can be found by clicking the above 'H2IQ Revisited' link.

Greebs..xx

Post 2

Danny B

Erm... they arrive at different times during the morning smiley - huh

Or one is a ghost train smiley - silly

Post 3

Lbclaire

Yes, I thought the same as Danny B. smiley - wow

Post 4

Kandyman - Keeper of Old Buses

It's a double deck bridge.

Post 5

Mu Beta

Is it Rameses XIV?

B

Post 6

Danny B

smiley - rofl

Post 7

Mu Beta

(with apologies to anyone who has no idea what I'm talking about)

B

Post 8

GodBen (The Magical Astronomer) - 00000011

To figure this one out I decided to do it practicly . . . again. I rearanged the timetables of a similar bridge to have it so that two trains would be going across it from opposite sides at the same time. Here are my results:

1) The trains will crash.
2) There will be many fatalities.
3) There will be many more injured.
4) The bridge will collapse.
5) There will be trafic chaos.

I am currently on a plane to New Zealand in an attempt to evade the police manhunt. smiley - erm

Post 9

Pond_Rat [life is weird - laugh at it.]

Too obvious, they are both moving in the same direction, but as usual I got beat to it. smiley - dragon Stoopid dang time differences...

Post 10

oops didn't read the question properly. (or any of the other answers) smiley - blush how embarrassing.... hmm how does one do an un-post in here? smiley - huh

Double decked bridge is possibly it... but I'll give it more thought, perhaps the trains exist in parrallel universes?

Post 11

Pythagoras

I think I have it. A train has to run on two tracks, so there are a total of four tracks. | | | | Like so. The middle two merge on the bridge making it | | | , and so the two trains run right next to each other and the poor man who's stuck his hand out the window.

Post 12

Demon Drawer

One train is goijng forward and the other is reversing therefore in the opposite direction but the direction of travel is the same and a collision is avoided. smiley - smiley

Boy I was busy yesterday.

Post 13

GreeboTCat

Phew you lot have certainly been busy over the past day... ~big huggles~

Greebs..xx

Post 14

Flanker

Both stop at a station in the middle of the bridge deposit their passengers and then go back the way they came smiley - biggrinsmiley - magicsmiley - run

smiley - surfer

Post 15

MysteriousOneWoS/Darth Horrifus - Thingite Well of Souls and member of the MotMV, Chief of the ICUP and Founder of the Mint

My idea is this: One train comes on as the other comes on. Where the tracks join, one goes along the side track and the other continues on it's way.

Post 16

Mu Beta

Do they both convert into monorail trains?

B

Post 17

Marjin, After a long time of procrastination back lurking

Nothing in the question says they have to be on the bridge at the same moment, so I agree that they will safely cross at different times.

Post 18

A Super Furry Animal

Well, a "morning" is all the time between a second past midnight, to a second to midday, so the chances of the two trains being on the short section of track at the same time are actually pretty slim, I'd say. The first train has completely passed the bridge by the time the second arrives.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 19

andforrest

I figured that they arrived at different times but on the same morning. I did like the idea that there is a station in the middle of the bridge so they arrive and depart in opposite directions...

Post 20

Ok, ok so they're there at different times - how boring - I still vote for parallel universes, a much more interesting theory smiley - evilgrin

Key: Complain about this post