A Conversation for Instant Messaging services

Collaborative Writing Workshop: A2955288 - Instant Messaging services

Post 1

MysteriousOneWoS/Darth Horrifus - Thingite Well of Souls and member of the MotMV, Chief of the ICUP and Founder of the Mint

Entry: Instant Messaging services - A2955288
Author: MysteriousOneWoS - U857298

My first entry to the h2g2 guide is here for improving.

A2955288 - Instant Messaging services

Post 2

FordsTowel

Another common use for IM is to communicate during games on line. It's especially popular among RPG players.

smiley - towel

Post 3

Dr. Memory

I suggest you spell out the various IM service provider acronyms -
AIM = AOL (America On Line) Instant Messanger. AOL supposedly has now trademarked the term "Instant Messenger"

MSN's IM client is now called MSN Messager.

Yahoo!'s IM Client is Yahoo! messenger.

iChat is Apple's IM software

There are at least a dozen open source messenger SW applications.

I think that IM was invented by the telecom industry to overcharge users of mobile devices for sending data. The centralized nature of IM means that the stakeholders will be slogging it out in the courts for years to come, as evidenced by their reluctance to support either each other's protocols or open systems such as Jabber.

Oh, yeah. IM functions in gaming are often provided using an older protocol called IRC (Internet Relay Chat). Not being a gamer, I can't be too sure about this, however.

Post 4

Dan - SteppaSide

hey there. Instant messaging is great. Maybe you could have a list of the different services/protocals available (aim, msn, yahoo, icq) and URLs to how to get them. you could do the same with programs like trillian and gaim. You may find this piece of recent news interesting: http://apple-x.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1061&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0&POSTNUKESID=105d631b1e779a7e00d62c5b9ebc14a3" keep up the great work Dan

Post 5

MysteriousOneWoS/Darth Horrifus - Thingite Well of Souls and member of the MotMV, Chief of the ICUP and Founder of the Mint

Well, I only knew about MSN, AIM, ICQ and Trillian, which explains the sparceness of the list.

Post 6

Dan - SteppaSide

As this is in the collabrative workshop would you like people to contribute to this article. I wouldn't mind researching and writing a section on the not so well known Jabber messenger.

Dan

Post 7

Well, that's why I put it here! Feel free to add what you like.

Key: Complain about this post