Instant Messaging services

2 Conversations


Instant Messengers come in many different forms-AIM, MSN, Trillian and ICQ1, for example. They are different from E-Mail because they communicate in real-time2. AIM only allows two people to communicate via IM; MSN allows more than one person.


Many people use Instant Messengers to communicate about work, social events, or just Life, the Universe and Everything. Instant Messengers have been unfairly linked to Chatrooms. IMing is used as a form of communication, and NOT as things where everyone creates links to Pornography sites (unlike the AIM chatrooms).


Other Features

IMing can be used to send files over the Web. People with Webcams and microphones can telecommute by talking over the computer and seeing the other person't face. People with microphones alone can communicate using their voices.


I hope this has set the record COMPLETELY straight about IMing services.
1Others include Yahoo! and Google2When someone speaks in real-time, they're speaking right now

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2955288

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more