A Conversation for 'Star Wars' - the Films

The best thing to come from Star Wars...

Post 1

RangaKoo

The best thing to come from Star Wars, in th opinion of someone who doesn't really like the movies, is the parody 'The Saga Begins' by Weird Al Yankovic, sun to teh tune of Don McLean's 'American Pie'.

If you are interested in the lyrics to this, let me know and I'll get them.

Post 2

Amanda

Personally, I thought "Pretty Fly for a Rabbi" was a much better song. smiley - winkeye

Post 3

Spike

i think the best song weird al did was Amish Paradise.

Post 4

RangaKoo

Hmmm, well on the according to my local all-comedy radio station, Yoda is his most popular, but I really LOVE Gump. As for 'Pretty Fly for a RAbbi,' I haven't had the chance to hear Running With Scisorrs yet - due to australia being so far behind the rest of the world

Post 5

Milmot

No way!

The best song from Phantom Menace was John' Williams "Duel of the Fates" where basically the whole song is on a bunch of guys making "Lah-Dah-Lah" and "Dah-Lah-Doo" also "Hah-Nah-Dah" with "Arh-Dah-Nah" etc.

Post 6

RangaKoo

You mean the song where they were chanting 'great duel' in Latin in the background?

Post 7

Milmot

Latin! They spent that much trouble researching the hardest languege to learn so that could but it in a Star Wars music.

They may as well made the theme song in Huttese!

(I don't suppose anybody can translate the Latin for me?!)

Post 8

RangaKoo

Vini, vidi, vici - I came, I saw, I conquered.

Other than that, go and hire Monty Python's Life of Brian - there's a very basic lesson in that

Post 9

Milmot

You that latin song i was talking about.
I downloaded.

Yep, still sounds like latin to me.

Post 10

Gopher

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Post 11

Xandromeda

Actually, I read that it was in Sanskrit, not Latin.

It's not like it really matters, there's maybe all of 7 people in the world who can tell the difference.

Post 12

Arnold, Friget, Dwiezel and Strilla

Actually they sing Korah, Mahtah, Rahtahmah, Danyaah, Yodaah, etc.

Nope, I haven't done the notes yet, Alien.

The best "song" from Star Wars is absolutely "Imperial March" = "Darth Vader's theme"

Tititititititititititititititititititi
Tii tii tii tiii ti tii tii ti tii etc.

Post 13

Yep, it's a Sanskrit translation of an epic poem between two druids, where they make the forests come alive, fight their battles, then return to the trees they once were.

I'll see if I can dig up the English translation somewhere, and post it here.

Post 14

Here it is. I hope there is no limit as to size when posting here; or at least I hope I do not offend. It's really a neat poem.

CAD GODDEU
"The Battle of the Trees", translated by Robert Graves
http://www.classicalrecordings.com/johnwilliams/phantomlyrics.htm

The tops of the beech tree have sprouted of late, are changed and renewed from their withered state.

When the beech prospers, though spells and litanies the oak tops entangle, there is hope for trees.

I have plundered the fern, through all secrets I spy, Old Math ap Mathonwy knew no more than I.

For with nine sorts of faculty God has gifted me, I am fruit of fruits gathered from nine sorts of tree.

Plum, quince, whortle, mulberry, respberry, pear, black cherry and white, with the sorb in me share.

From my seat at Fefynedd, a city that is strong, I watched the trees and green things hastening along.

Retreating from happiness they would fein be set in forms of the chief letters of the alphabet.

Wayfarers wandered, warriors were dismayed at renewal of conflicts such as Gwydion made;

Under the tongue root a fight most dread, and another raging, behind, in the head.

The alders in the front line began the affray. Willow and rowan-tree were tardy in array.

The holly, dark green, made a resolute stand; he is armed with many spear-points wounding the hand.

With foot-beat of the swift oak heaven and earth rung; "Stout Guardian of the Door", his name in every tongue.

Great was the gorse in battle, and the ivy at his prime; the hazel was arbiter and this charmed time.

Uncouth and savage was the fir, cruel the ash tree - turns not aside a foot-breadth, straight at the heart runs he.

The birch, though very noble, armed himself but late: a sign not of cowardice but of high estate.

The heath gave consolation to the toil-spent folk, the long-enduring poplars in battle much broke.

Some of them were cast away on the field of fight because of holes torn in them by the enemy's might.

Very wrathful was the vine whose henchmen are the elms; I exalt him mightily to rulers of realms.

Strong chieftains were the blackthorn with his ill fruit, the unbeloved whitethorn who wears the same suit.

The swift-pursuing reed, the broom with his brood, and the furse but ill-behaved until he is subdued.

The dower-scattering yew stood glum at the fight's fringe, with the elder slow to burn amid fires that singe.

And the blessed wild apple laughing in pride from the Gorchan of Maeldrew, by the rock side.

In shelter linger privet and woodbine, inexperienced in warefare, and the courtly pine.

But I, although slighted because I was not big, Fought, trees, in your array on the field of Goddeu Brig.

Post 15

Jedi Jade and her daemon Thras AKA Dr. Amelia T. "Bermuda" Rangel

I have the lyrics, and I bloody LOVE the song.

I laughed so hard that I fell of my chair when I first heard it..

(Mara) Jade

Key: Complain about this post