A Conversation for Talking Point: Forgotten Movies

Films so bad they're good...

Post 1

fords - number 1 all over heaven

Troma films! smiley - biggrin

Post 2

Paully

I have a particular fondness for "Class of Nuke'Em High" myself! smiley - biggrinsmiley - ok

Paully

Post 3

Phil

Starship Troopers. Utterly Cheesy, and laugh-out-loud bad acting. Also some Vietnam War undertones I'm told...smiley - erm

But I could (and have) watch it over and over again all day!

Does anyone know why I - and indeed many of us - love a film even though we know it's so blatently awful?

Post 4

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

Because it's funny watching people refusing to let a complete and total lack of talent get in the way of a career choice?

smiley - ale

Post 5

Absolutely! And it's nice to sit down to a film and not have to take it seriously. A lot of people were disappointed with the Evil Dead films because they just coulnd't grasp the fact it was a mickey take smiley - tongueout

Post 6

A Super Furry Animal

Starship Troopers is actually quite subversive if you watch it closely.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 7

PinkyBoodles

Flash Gordon! Utter drivel, but I love it. "Flash, I love you! And we only have twelve hours left to save the Earth!" It's my guilty little secret.

Post 8

A Super Furry Animal

"Gordon's alive!"

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 9

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

Umm, it's "Flash, Flash I love you, but we only have 14 hours to save the Earth!".

Oh God, I'm going now.

smiley - ale

Post 10

PinkyBoodles

I bow to your superior knowledge. Humbled, I will watch the film again to ensure future quotations are correct. smiley - winkeye Thanks for the excuse!

Post 11

And what a soundtrack - Flash! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Saviour of the Universe! smiley - biggrin

"The Howling"

Post 12

Steve K.

I vote for the original "The Howling", 1981:

" ... a werewolf colony on the California coast, posing as a self-help haven led by a seemingly benevolent doctor (Patrick Macnee), and populated by a variety of "patients," from sexy, leather-clad sirens (among them Elisabeth Brooks) to an old coot (John Carradine) who's quite literally long in the tooth. When a TV reporter (Dee Wallace) arrives at the colony to recover from a recent trauma, the resident lycanthropes prepare for a howlin' good time." smiley - fullmoon

I read negative reviews of this as a horror film, but I always thought of it as a parody. I mean, cans of "Wolf" brand chili on the shelves? And when the "infected" anchor lady decides to expose the werewolves by turning into one on air, we get a scene in a bar where two guys are watching the TV. One slurs, "Its true. She turned into a wolf and they shot her." The other guy says, "You're drunk." "Doesn't mean its not true." smiley - cidersmiley - drunk

Post 13

tom

braindead written by and directed by none other than peter jackson and fran walsh.
and of course who could forget the evil dead films, the medievil dead is the best.
and continuing the in the same vein, return of the living dead part two.

Post 14

And we can't forget Bad Taste now, can we? smiley - biggrin

Post 15

Serephina

I've not seen Bad Taste.. but I love Braindead..smiley - monster

Post 16

Poor Lionel smiley - laugh

Post 17

PinkyBoodles

He got to be a hero, kill his overbearing zombie mother and find love! Really, that flesh-eating monkey solved all his problems.

Post 18

U168592

Brain Candy by the canadian Kids in the Hall team...

Post 19

speff

I don't know if this qualifies, but my zombieflick - mad partner and I stayed up once to watch a zombie film called "The Dark", with Brion James and Neve Campbell, that had...no zombies. At all. Anywhere.

Post 20

Mister Matty

Personally, I hate the whole "so bad it's good" thing as, most of the time, it's blatantly untrue. Most bad films are exactly that - bad - and aren't worth watching. Other films mistaken for "bad" are, in fact, highly enjoyable, often-camp nonsense that has no pretentions to being anything else and is more than aware of how silly it is (someone mentioned Mike Hodge's "Flash Gordon", a great film that wears it's OTT-ness on it's sleeve as much as "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" and which has been widely misunderstood as a "so bad it's good" film).

However,

I would nominate Ed Wood's "Plan Nine From Outer Space". This was a film made, in all seriousness, as a scary piece of science-fiction that fails on just about every level in it's intentions and yet remains enjoyable. I've watched it several times and it remains incredibly watchable for reasons I can't quite fathom. I suppose it's because the viewer usually stops watching it as a thriller and starts watching it as a succession of bad-lines, corny dialogue, preposterous philosophising and crummy action and it's hard not to enjoy it. I think if any film deserves the description of "so bad it's good" then Plan Nine does.

Key: Complain about this post