A Conversation for Vegetarian Food For Meat-Eaters

Quorn is not veggy!

Post 1

wee tim'rous beastie

If you look at your Quorn packages you will find that it contains rehydrated egg white so it is not veggy

Quorn is not vegan!

Post 2

Sheltermefromtruth

Just a technicality. Your point is valid. Vegan's should therefore avoid quorn.

Quorn is not veggy!

Post 3

fords - number 1 all over heaven

What kind of animal is an egg then? smiley - erm

Quorn is not veggy!

Post 4

Andy

veggys can eat quorn like some one said its vegans that cant eat dairy products eggs.cheese.milk etc etc

what animal is a egg???

i would have said an un born chicken smiley - smiley

Quorn is not veggy!

Post 5

The Pink Ferret (slightly fruity)

That's a fertillised egg. An unfertillised egg is just, like, something chickens do. Biologically speaking it's the avain equvilant of a period. Knowing that information, I don't really like eggs much.... But I need to eat them for the protien, I'm vegitarian and only weigh 54 kg. And I'm male, a shade under 6' tall. With a 40cm waist. Long and thin, like a noodle.

Quorn is not veggy!

Post 6

wee tim'rous beastie

I am not a veggy myself but I don't eat eggs unless they are free-range and organic. The conditions for chickens in factory farming is totally disgusting and Quorn does not say what type of eggs they use so don't buy it!

Quorn is not veggy!

Post 7

mazhewitt

Some packets of Quorn state that they are made from free-range eggs. I always assume that if a product doesn't say it is free-range then it isn't.

Quorn is not veggy!

Post 8

*rolls eyes*

What I meant was, just because Quorn has egg in it the product is still vegetarian. It's just not vegan.

Quorn is not veggy!

Post 9

Andy

smiley - smiley

Quorn is not veggy!

Post 10

The Pink Ferret (slightly fruity)

What is this "Quorn" stuff anyway? sounds like something out of the -Guide-

Quorn is not veggy!

Post 11

Post Team

Simply put... Quorn is made from mushrooms...

Greebs..xx

Quorn is not veggy!

Post 12

wee tim'rous beastie

OOOPS. Sorry, you are right it does say the eggs are free range.

Quorn is not veggy!

Post 13

RadoxTheGreen - Retired

As I understand it (at least from my recollection of articles in the now defunct Vegetarian Living magazine)the reason why Quorn is considered by some vegetarians as non-veggy is that animal testing was used in the development of mycoprotein (it was partly developed by ICI).

Originally, Quorn was intended to be the miracle product to relieve the predicted global famine of the 70s (which never happened). The whole idea of it being a 'veggy' food never even occurred to them until the 80s. Also, it used battery farmed hens eggs until the Vegetarian Society worked with the company to change the product to free range instead.

Basically, whether you consider it veggy or not depends on how long you hold a grudge. smiley - smiley

Quorn is not veggy!

Post 14

Hmmm it's a tricky one. I'm not a huge fan of Quorn cos I think it tastes rubbish but my ethics have played a huge part in not buying it too smiley - erm However, it is now fully endorsed as a vegetarian product and they have done a good job in showing carnivores that veggie food isn't all lentils and lettuce. The question is, have they now done enough to redeem themselves? smiley - winkeye

Quorn is not veggy!

Post 15

RadoxTheGreen - Retired

Well, it's had several changes of ownership since it was first developed (I think Premier Foods make it now) so I personally go with Vegetarian Society and say yes. I just wish it didn't cauae such a negative reaction with my IBS smiley - blush

Key: Complain about this post