Entry: Safe Trading on eBay UK - A2651618
Author: ridpath - U725053

Hi,

My first article. Let me know what you think! Thanks

A2651618 - Safe Trading on eBay UK

Post 2

stjarna

A great entry - and very impressive for a first entry smiley - smiley

A variation on the first scam you mentioned is where someone sends a bankers draft as payment, but for too much money. The scammer then asks for a refund of the difference, which the 'scamee' provides. The bankers draft then bounces.

In these cases, the goods are frequently not sent at all, and it's quite common to see this happening on high-value items which cannot be shipped (e.g. cars)

Sometimes, scammers will use fake escrow sites which might look real but are operated by the scammers themselves. This could be mentioned in either the 'scams' or 'escrow' section I guess.

Post 3

Woodpigeon

Yes, I would agree - it is a very good article. The only thing I would note is that monetary amounts and telephone numbers are far too changeable, and could be already obsolete even before the entry becomes part of the Edited Guide - I would delete them and refer the reader to the websites concerned instead.

Also, I think a short decription of the Payment Protection Plan should be included in the entry, and not a link.

Hope these small points are not too much - otherwise everything here seems quite good!

smiley - peacedoveWoodpigeon

Post 4

Potholer

There's nothing I can suggest adding to this excellent article.

Although not directly relevant to eBay UK, I thought the following article on The Register today which looks at international shipping and fake escrow with a humorous ending might be of some interest.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/24/ebay_scammer_scammed/

The link at the end of the article for the full details is worth a visit.

Post 5

ridpath

Thanks for the reply. I've never heard of that scam, but I'll incorporate it into the article ASAP.

Post 6

ridpath

Doh! Thought you replied to each posting individually! Thanks for the feedback, people. Some good ideas, will pretty much take everyone onboard and add it into the article. I was a bit iffy about adding the prices as they do fluctuate, and taking them out is probably a good plan. Will look at the Register article right now.....

Post 7

ridpath

Hi everyone.

I've just finished updating the article and incorporating the suggestions in the article. I decided not to include a description of the Protection programmes as they are well documented on eBay and may be prone to change. On that basis I've removed the pricing on Escrow and Disupte Resolution.

I've also updated the Common Scam section as well as creating two new sections on Auction Sniping and keeping your computer safe.

Thanks again for all past and future feedback received.

amit

Post 8

Pimms

Look a good entry Ridpath smiley - biggrin

I have been too unsure about security to use eBay, but with these tips I may consider using it smiley - ok

Reading through I found a few typos which may not be picked up on a spellcheck. I may have misunderstood what you were intending with a couple, and have tried to highlight where I'm only offering a suggestion.

Here you go:

In eBay buyer protection:
If you use another payment method than you may be covered
> If you use another payment method then you may be covered

In Other credit/debit payment services:
There are a number of other payment methods however, beware
> There are a number of other payment methods. However, beware

In Alternative Payment Methods:
pursing > pursuing

and I would therefore recommend using electronic payments as described above. >
which is a reason to use electronic payments as described above. (avoid using first person in EG entries)

In Dispute Resolution:
If a dispute arises between a buyer and seller, rather than calling of the trade/leaving negative feedback eBay suggests that you first use an independent mediator to resolved your dispute. >
If a dispute arises between a buyer and seller, rather than calling off the trade/leaving negative feedback, eBay suggests that you first use an independent mediator to resolve your dispute. (I'm not sure about the 'calling of the trade' reference

instigated my filing a case. > instigated by filing a case.

aid both parties to reach a resolve. > aid both parties to reach an agreement. (just a suggestion)

negative feedback by eBay. > negative feedback on eBay. (possibly)

non-response from the opposite party can lead to the removal of negative feedback. > I'm not sure I follow this. Could you give an example? I thought the use of Square Deal was instead of submitting negative feedback?

You may see a SquareTrade seal on an auction listing stating that they a verified seller. Whilst the seal programme is designed to identity reliable seller, the programme itself offers no protection to buyers whatsoever.
> You may see a SquareTrade seal on an auction listing stating that they are a verified seller. Whilst the seal programme is designed to identity reliable sellers, the programme itself offers no protection to buyers whatsoever.

In Common Scams
In Fake escrow sites:
they constantly new ones > they constantly create new ones

a few times high-jacked > hijacked (just a suggestion as both seem acceptable variants)

In When things go wrong:
benefit of the doubt as there if more often then not a legitimate reason why the trade has been dealed.
> benefit of the doubt as there is more often then not a legitimate reason why the trade has been delayed.

you are very suspicious or a trade/other eBay user
> you are very suspicious of a trade/other eBay user

Hope these help polish this worthwhile entry smiley - ok

Pimms smiley - stiffdrink

Post 9

McKay The Disorganised

An excellent entry full of good advice. smiley - ok

smiley - cider

Post 10

ridpath

First of all, thank you to Pimms for throughly proof reading my article. All valid corrections and suggestions and I've amended the article accordingly.

Many thanks for all the great feedback, it's definitely encouraged me to write a second article. Any other suggestions are very welcome!

smiley - ok Amit

Post 11

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

I like it. smiley - cheers

Mikey

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 12

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 13

Pimms

smiley - applause ridpath
Excellent entry smiley - biggrin

Pimms smiley - ok

Post 14

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

woo hoo! smiley - disco congrats!

Congratulations - Reply

Post 15

ridpath

Thanks for your support everyone!

Key: Complain about this post