This is the Message Centre for GuitarNinja

hello guitar Ninja

Post 1

dim26trav

Well It has been awhile how's it going in Dallas?

Everything is going quitely here in Salem still no employment (prospects though). My son's high school football team (Sprague) is going to play at the state championship in Portland. Whoopee

I continue to spend my time quietly reading and working the computer. It passes the time at least. Boredom does set in every once in a while and I am inspired to write to all my hootoo buddies around the world. Just to check up on them.

So spill the beans what's happening dude?!

hello guitar Ninja

Post 2

GuitarNinja

Hey, Salemite! Things here at Western Oregon University are starting to get hectic as we enter into the dreaded DEAD WEEK. And next week begins finals. Needless to say this has inhibited my contributions to hootoo, but that's okay because my contributions were pretty minimal anway. I still like to stay connected with this sweet online community and learn stuff from its vast encyclopedia.

I'm getting geared up for my own little hitchhiking trip this winter, though it won't be anything too adventurous. I'm going down to Albany to see my little ninja sister turn 16 and get caught up with a few of my friends there and hopefully get a little farther south to hook up with a good friend down in Drain.

Should be fun. Hope my mom doesn't shoot me down (yeah a pretty pathetic thing for a college kid to worry about.)

Good luck finding a job. I know how hard it is to get something suitable. Er, I know how hard it is to find /anything/. Spring term is but a prospect of one possible future at the moment (as is everything) financially speaking.

Bed time. T'was a pleasure speaking with you again.

Keep Rockin the Rock,
GN

hello guitar Ninja

Post 3

dim26trav

Well what else are parents for but to shoot down the kids, I know I'm a parent. If they dont get shot down they they'll think they can run the world HA HA HA.

On the other hand it is the kids job to suffer horribly because of their parents and then blame them for their guilt. HA HA HA

Isn't that the way it supposed to be???? Or has it just been that way and needs to be changed???

By the time you'll read this though that litle session will be over and life goes on doesn't it?

It is importnat though to do well in school get good grades or at least understand the subject whether or not the grades come is another matter. No employer has ever asked me what my grades were ever (of course my grades were never worth mentioning anyway). But that is the case for everyone but the top grade getter anyway 99.88% of all the rest of us.

adieu

hello guitar Ninja

Post 4

GuitarNinja

Personally, I am greatly enjoying this freedom that started a few months ago when school started, so if I'm not allowed to go on my little hitchhiking adventure while I'm home over the winter break, I'll be a little sad. There are a lot of people I want to visit and I don't want to inconvenience my mom by making her drive me around Oregon.

I don't know, I think that a certain level of tyranny from parental figures is okay, just to set boundaries, morals, and guidelines to healthy living, but when the rules don't make any sense it gets really frusterating. I remember one time my parents wouldn't let me stay the night at a friends house because it was "too late at night." I calmly explained that I had been openly invited and that I wouldn't be keeping anyone up by arriving late, but they remained stubbornly adamant and unsympathetic to my cause. To this day, that situation makes no sense to me.

Grades are doing fine. I don't really care about what an employer will think because a Bachelors of Music is a big joke anyway. The only thing that will get me a job is being able to understand music, everything else is just paper. However, I'm going for straight A's so I can get an Academic Scholarship as long as the classes are as easy as they are right now.

Sleep Time, Finals Week starts monday,
GN

hello guitar Ninja

Post 5

dim26trav

a music degree is a performance degree isn't it? If your performance is great the degree doesn't really matter the contracts will come and the money pours in (dont your wish)

On the other hand if it is like music appreciation then writing criticisms of other's work in magazines and in the media is the bill. Getting a gig with one of the media outlets would be the token to fame. Again its the writing not the degree that matter.

School is a practice forum to develope the skills (yup)

Go for it to the max....(That's valley speak in case you didn't know)

hello guitar Ninja

Post 6

GuitarNinja

Yeah, you're absalutly right. Most of the time drop-out's make the big bucks while music majors play on street corners. Or, in Weezer's case, they made a lot of money to pay for college. I don't know. I just want to learn as much as I can. I'm thinking about double-majoring with music and linguistics because language has always been an interest and a talent of mine.

Anyway, winter break approachs threatening to suck me into work to pay for said college degree. Dreams of hitchhiking may have to wait until a later date.

Sleepily,
GN

hello guitar Ninja

Post 7

dim26trav

Languages are good, especially if you're good at them. (I've never been good and any language including english) but how will it fit into your plans???

A good musician is driven by their need to express themselves musically, without that drive they end up as some critic sitting at some concert and explainning why some other artist is good or not. (sad, sad). Given the enormous drive it takes to make great music, marketing would be my second choice. Even with considerable skills on an instrument, without the marketing of said talent (by somebody) it could easily go to waste. I would vote for self promotion As long as the marketing knowledge was there, It saves the fees (or even a percentage) one might have to pay for someone else to do those marketing things.

Marketing is the nitty gritty of how the money is brought in and is a skill that can help others with outside of just being a musician yourself. Music marketing has changed recently and while it is not as inspiring as the music itself, there is still a ton of money in the field.

All in all though I would enjoy the holidays and worry about school later. Good Luck
adieu

hello guitar Ninja

Post 8

GuitarNinja

I totally agree on the marketing gig, but I'm already pretty versed in the magic of commercialization. It's really all about the internet. If bands stick with it, they can really get their name out by linking up to as many eZines and music critic websites, and even similar bands sites.

Languages, however, rival music on my passion scale. I completely love to learn new ways to speak.

Wintering,
GN

hello guitar Ninja

Post 9

dim26trav

If there was some magic way of changing myself it would be to be able to learn other languages more easily. I've tried so many already and still it is very hard. I envy you this ability.

The person who speaks more than one language fluently has more brain power than one who doesn't, simply because they have more than one way to think things out. (emphasize fluently). I cant seem to get out of my original brain and into that of another language.

Individual words though are another subject I really get into redefinning things by applying different names to things. I took Iconics early on in college and found a new life. (Working with symbols)

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for GuitarNinja

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more