This is the Message Centre for Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Mr. D - This is easier than I thought...

Post 1

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

I've now come out as polyamorous to a load of my RL friends (who I hadn't already told and I was reasonably sure wouldn't be offended by it). Response is small, but positive... a few smiles and 'good luck's.

smiley - biggrin

Next step is deciding whether to tell my parents.

Post 2

aka Bel - A87832164

That's a tough one. smiley - goodluck

Post 3

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

I have some RL friends who have been polyamorous for many years. They have chosen not to tell their parents. Knowing their parents, I can imagine what the responses would be.

Post 4

Yeah, I've no idea how my parents will react. Definitely not telling the in-laws at any point ever. They'll probably think I'm the Devil or something.

Post 5

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

I would suggest one or the other first, the more likely to be receptive, a time you could find for a quiet talk with a tea or coffee. Lead in with the less-than-complete aspects of what you seem to feel. And take it from there

For a lot of us more 'mature' folks, it could seem quite a bomb to dropn on both. Just my 2-pence Canuck'ish ...

Post 6

I'm not really here

Just catching up after the Ask thread. I've never told my parents, but haven't spent a lot of time hiding it either, in fact my first visit to the Torture Garden my friend and I were driven there by my dad. Cue lots of comments about weirdos.

Some years later and I'm pretty sure they both know.

Sometimes I think there's not a lot we can hide from the old fogies.

Post 7

I suspect my parents will work out the poly thing eventually. Can't imagine them ever finding out about my Dom tendancies though... bit TMI I think! Plus there's never been any real communication about sex, they didn't even try to have the birds and bees chat with me until I was already sexuall active. smiley - rolleyes

I've never been to a fetish club, even though I am unashamedly Dom. I'm not much of a clubber anyway and based on what I've seen on telly I'd really dislike the music! Plus I am extraordinarily shy in crowds.

Post 8

I'm not really here

Yeah I hate the music, after a few years I worked out TG wasn't want I wanted, it was just a bit well known name, but it got me my intro. I'm on a few websites and go to private members parties, after fetish market parties, and friends parties!

Yes I was shy to start with, it got easier the more I did it, but still will only play with people I know. Some people are happy to play with strangers.

Post 9

I would certainly only be able to play with someone I know (though I must admit I've only ever played with Mrs. D anyway)... you need to be able to place such trust in your partner no matter what role you play that I don't get how people can play with strangers. But if they're genuinely okay doing that who am I to judge?

Post 10

I'm not really here

I don't either, at one point I only played with people I also spent time with out of the scene, although eventually I stopped doing that because I didn't have time for such a hectic social life! But still it would only be with people I saw a lot and had 'referrals' from other people.

I used to have a t-shirt that said 'I'm a polyamorous bisexual switch and I still don't fancy you'. smiley - biggrin

Post 11

smiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post