A Conversation for Coffee

Peer Review: A2392878 - Coffee

Post 1

Time Traveller - Knights of h2g2 Astronomer - Chairman of the Society of Time Travellers

Entry: Coffee - A2392878
Author: Time Traveller - Knights of h2g2 Astronomer - Chairman of the Society of Time Travellers - U219006

A general article on coffee

A2392878 - Coffee

Post 2

Geggs

There's already an Edited entry on Coffee - A1675, another on Cappuccino - A583292, Espresso - A264377, and Mocha - A330535.

Do you think this entry adds anything significant on top of that?

Geggs

A2392878 - Coffee

Post 3

Time Traveller - Knights of h2g2 Astronomer - Chairman of the Society of Time Travellers

probably not, but my style's got a bit more going for it...

A2392878 - Coffee

Post 4

really the question is: Do you?

A2392878 - Coffee

Post 5

Those two posts were done quickly and off the cuff in sheer anoyance at your rather dismissive posting. After visitig the articles you listed I can conclude yes, my article does add a lot to these entries. Had you taken the time to read it and/or read the entries you listed you might have noticed this.

Also it is in the nature of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galexy to be repetative and often inacurate, hense anything written on h2g2 can be justified in this way.

A2392878 - Coffee

Post 6

Pimms

TT
I think Geggs has a good point. It is true that the existing entries do not cover the full gamut of coffee drinking or coffee history. But they have the strong advantage that they are already in the Edited Guide. Your current proposed entry similalrly does not match the breadth of the title.

In order for a further entry on the subject I think you ought to reference these other entries (I like links to other h2g2 entries smiley - winkeye) rather than repeat some of the same information, and amend the title to reflect the different focus of your entry.

If you are dissatisfied with the existing basic Coffee entry you could take steps to see if it could be updated, possibly with the extra detail you wish to see in it.

Pimms smiley - ok

A2392878 - Coffee

Post 7

stjarna

Geggs - visit UpdateForum for information on updating existing edited entries

A2392878 - Coffee

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

The Edited Guide also includes

A592832 Ways to make good coffee
A670015 Organic Coffee
A466283 Blue Mountain Coffee
A883497 Ordering Coffee in France
A442829 Coffee in Spain

The Edited Guide does not normally allow repetition. If there is already an entry on Coffee, you can't add another one. You can write an entry on an aspect of coffee and submit that, or you can offer to update the existing Coffee entry, providing the authors of the original entry agree, by using the Update forum.

A2392878 - Coffee

Post 9

Geggs

I'm sorry my comments seemed overly dismissive. I certainly didn't intend them that way.

But, as Gnomon has ably pointed out, there are certain niceities to be observed here. The Edited Guide does not normally encourage repetition, but there are some subjects, such as coffee, where there are a lot of different aspects considered. If you fell that you can fill in a gap not already covered sufficently by the other entries, then that is all well and good. Equally, if you aren't quite filling in a gap, but rather providing a clearer explanation, then you should approach this from the perspective of the UpdateForum, which stjarna has already refered to. This is, of course, completely you choice as to what you want to do.

I'd just like to apologise again for the upset my comments unintentionally caused.

Geggs

A2392878 - Coffee

Post 10

Sea Change

H2G2 and the fictional Guide do not coincide. H2G2 aims to be neither repetitive nor incorrect.

smiley - popcorn

I am not a Scout, so I am not a trustee for BBCi. I will not read your article nor small 'r' recommend it; because in my experience, when an author deliberately flouts the Writing Guidelines, they don't intend to cooperate in any way. Nobody is required to argue with you, so anyone can choose to ignore you.

A2392878 - Coffee

Post 11

sprout

I don't think this adds anything to the edited guide as it is currently written. Rewriting it to deal with a specific angle on coffee is likely to be the most fruitful way forward.

sprout

A2392878 - Coffee

Post 12

Geggs, you are most civil. In return I appologise for being overly brusk.

To the other replies:

* Whatever the guide intends to be, and for whatever purpose, this site is set up with the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galexy in mind.

* I do not directly flout the rules with my entry, as only it's title is similar to anything else on h2g2.

* If you will not read my article, do not post on this thread, you are wasting webspace and your own time. Ignoring people generaly involves not comunicating with them.

A2392878 - Coffee

Post 13

Gnomon - time to move on

Time Traveller. I've read your article, but there is nothing in it that is not already in the Edited Guide.

A2392878 - Coffee

Post 14

for a given value of "nothing" admitedly...

references to taste, garentees of quality, etc differ. My deffinitions are, perhaps, tautological.

A2392878 - Coffee

Post 15

plus the !!!actualy reading the article thing!!! was directed at Sea -(someone or other, cant remember right now, didn't bother to read his/her nickname, I'm just assuming it's rubbish), who admitted themselves not to have read the entry.

A2392878 - Coffee

Post 16

so appologies there

A2392878 - Coffee

Post 17

Pimms

So TT, what tack are you going to take?
> the Update route for a more comprehensive general introduction to coffee (see the link earlier to the Update Forum)
> a changed title and amended focus to offer something different to what is already in the Edited Guide?

This entry seems very unlikely to be recommended without moving assertively in one of these two directions.

Pimms smiley - smiley

A2392878 - Coffee

Post 18

Gnomon - time to move on

Time Traveller, it is very annoying to write an entry and then find someone else has beaten you to it. This happened to me when I wrote my "What causes the tides" entry. There was already an entry explaining it all in less detail.smiley - grr

I hope it won't put you off writing other entries. It didn't stop me, and I've written more than a hundred.

Keep smiley - cool!

A2392878 - Coffee

Post 19

FordsTowel

Hi TT,

Just an FYI:
All other considerations aside, I have found that the use of the 'I' format is unacceptable in Edited Guide entries. The use of the first-person references is almost a guarantee that a piece will not make the Edited Guide.
This has been explained to me by every scout who has ever had the misfortune of reading one of my entries, as I almost always slip somewhere, and find I've put one or more references to self in the piece.

smiley - towel

A2392878 - Coffee

Post 20

Dr Hell

I agree with the general opinion that this Entry is not quite there yet - at least for the Edited Guide.

smiley - star It's still a part of the Guide, don't forget that smiley - winkeye - searchable and all that. If someone types in Coffee this one appears (along with thirty others) The only thing about this one is that it is not edited. So, in the end, it's like in the Book after all, no?

Cheers.

HELL

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Coffee

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more