Wasn't Hovis from Macclesfield?

The H2G2 Survey

Post 42

Jabberwock

smiley - laugh

The H2G2 Survey

Post 43

Jabberwock

Sorry. I was responding to Pierce's 'colonies' remark.

Anyway, Pierce, I'll have you know, old friend, that we (Southern) English defeated and turned back the Danes at the Battle of Olney Bridge (unlikely coincidence but true), this now being the front line between varieties of northern and midland accents, (influenced by the Danes), and true Southern Saxon ones, Olney being on the Southern side of the border.

Jabsmiley - erm

The H2G2 Survey

Post 44

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

oh well, as long as you don't annoy prof. animal chaos, who - as i understand it - is a yorkshireman and thus one of us. york is after all our old stronghold in the northeast, the capitol of the danelaw. has been since the days of old harold bloodaxe smiley - grr

it's the rest of the british isles we only see as colonies smiley - whistle

smiley - pirate (who is not quite sure he's got it all right - and anyway doesn't really give a fetid dingos kidneys about it smiley - biggrin)

The H2G2 Survey

Post 45

T.B. Falsename ACE: [stercus venio] I have learned from my mistakes, and feel I could repeat them exactly.

Have a read of the Orkneyinga Saga.

smiley - cheers

The H2G2 Survey

Post 46

oh, please smiley - groan my father was a historian and i am fed up with sagas and legends and history and what have you

my older is a teacher - he is even worse! smiley - rofl

smiley - pirate

The H2G2 Survey

Post 47

Jabberwock

It was the Norf wot was your colony. We stopped them Danes from going further South (after the days of King Arthur forcing them back). That's why York was so prominent - it's in the North.

I partly put this in to get The Prof going - but he hasn't bitten on it yet.

Jabsmiley - erm

The H2G2 Survey

Post 48

oh but the north now seems to have been far more than just a colony. it was a part of the realm of vikings, who originally came from norway, sweden and denmark, but over many years inhabited vast parts of england and scotland, iceland and greenland.

but they controlled far more than that: (at times) their 'area of interest' spread from russia in the northeast to newfoundland in the northwest and as far as istanbul to the southeast and africa to the southwest.

'area of interest' was a term invented during the cold war, and in fact the role of the vikings was more or less that of the US today

it makes me feel so ashamed smiley - whistle

smiley - pirate

The H2G2 Survey

Post 49

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - winkeyeI don't bitesmiley - laughtoo super modest

no disrespect to anyonesmiley - smileyof course

but if you ain't Yorkshire born,your a foreignersmiley - biggrinsaves time categorising smiley - laughsmiley - laugh

The H2G2 Survey

Post 50

T.B. Falsename ACE: [stercus venio] I have learned from my mistakes, and feel I could repeat them exactly.

You missed out northern france, it was Vikings who eventually conquered the whole of England, admittedly they spoke french at the time but it was the Vikings and /not/ frenchies smiley - smiley

William the illegitimate, so called because a) his parents were not married, and b) because he was a complete and utter smiley - bleepsmiley - biggrin

smiley - cheers

The H2G2 Survey

Post 51

yes, of course, who could forget the normans. ivanhoe never did smiley - biggrin

it was the normans who conquered their viking cousins in england in 1066

smiley - pirate

The H2G2 Survey

Post 52

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - winkeyeivanhoe,a rake, strimmer and hedge shears

Key: Complain about this post