This is the Message Centre for Ivan the Terribly Average

Ivan economises.

Post 1

Ivan the Terribly Average

I've been thinking lately that I really should cut down on my spending so I can get rid of this mortgage sooner. The mortgage has 29 years left to run, but if I'm cautious with my cash I might be able to shorten that a bit.

I was thinking about this at lunch today as I wandered around town looking at this and that. I'd taken my lunch with me from home, so there was a saving of about $10 already and I was feeling virtuous as I went into the bookshop. I felt even more virtuous when I escaped after buying only one book ($23). Pleased with my self-restraint, I then went on to buy a DVD ($30) - but only one, because I'm being careful with my money now.

So that's how easy it is to save $10. smiley - silly I must be economical again tomorrow. This weekend I'll go to the markets; there are serious savings to be made there...

smiley - redwineIvan.

Ivan economises.

Post 2

BrownFurby

Very good idea to pay the mortgage off as soon as possible (and 29 years seems a long time I imagined mortgages were 25 years maximum) , then whatever happens at least you have a home. The plan does go a bit wrong in old age when the trouble of maintaining the old house becomes a burden though.

Ivan economises.

Post 3

A standard mortgage here is 30 years.

Ivan economises.

Post 4

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

You didn't buy a book!!??? *faints*

smiley - tongueout

Ivan economises.

Post 5

Might have done. smiley - whistle

Ivan economises.

Post 6

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - winkeyetake in lodger, lodgers rent pays mortgage, Ivan then buys bookssmiley - winkeye

Ivan economises.

Post 7

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

Ummmm.. But, Prof... Ivan would have to remove his books from the spare bedroom. It must be better stocked than a public library! smiley - book

smiley - tongueout

Ivan economises.

Post 8

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - winkeyebooks = private library, charge to readsmiley - laugh

Ivan economises.

Post 9

You can call me TC

smiley - 2cents

Ivan economises.

Post 10

psychocandy-moderation team leader

Books are better than food anyway, right? If circumstances ever get really dire, they're also technically full of fiber. smiley - silly

Ivan economises.

Post 11

Researcher 14993127

smiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - book
smiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - book
smiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - book
smiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - book
smiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - headhurts

That stack of books don't look very safe to me. smiley - yikes

smiley - cat

Ivan economises.

Post 12

hellboundforjoy

smiley - book

Ivan economises.

Post 13

Deb

smiley - cheerup

Ivan economises.

Post 14

I didn't buy any books today. smiley - zen So it is possible. I must remind myself of this.

Ivan economises.

Post 15

hellboundforjoy

How much money did you save?

Ivan economises.

Post 16

Oh, none, because I bought lunch and a few other things.

Ivan economises.

Post 17

hellboundforjoy

Yeah, but all those smiley - books you didn't buy! You must have saved hundreds!

Ivan economises.

Post 18

I haven't bought any gold or diamonds either - I'm making huge savings! smiley - magic

Ivan economises.

Post 19

smiley - runbehind a taxi instead of a smiley - bus that saves more moneysmiley - erm

Ivan economises.

Post 20

smiley - winkeyefrom our house to town = 80p on smiley - bus - £2.80 by taxismiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Ivan the Terribly Average

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more