A Conversation for American Slang

Maine Slang

Post 1

Mdy H20s

Here are a few words that I believe are probably unique to the State of Maine. Of course the words themselves do not tell the whole story. Pronunciation is key to speaking like a true Mainer. (But that's another discussion altogether.)

beater (n.): An old unregistered battered truck used for transporting just about anything.

cunning (adj.): notably cute.

dear (n.): a form of address not necessarily meant as an endearment.

from away (adj.): people who are not native Mainers (see: Mainer).

greasy (adj.): it's icy out, so take care.

honking (adj.): remarkably.

kife (v.): to steal, to take.

Mainer (n.): A person born in the State of Maine. If you moved to Maine as an infant and have lived in the state ever since, you are not a Mainer. (see: from away)

mow (v.) ("maa-ow"): to eat a large amount of food very quickly.

ramming (v.): joyriding.

Muddy

Maine Slang

Post 2

The Entity

hello
I go to maine every summer, and notice that they also have a very unique accent, where the r seems less pronounced. oh, btw, I'm a bit awkward at this, since i'm new at h2g2. but anyway, cool words, didnt' realyl notice them while I was there, I was in Brunswick, fyi.
bbye,
the entity

Maine Slang

Post 3

Mdy H20s

Hi,

As a matter of fact,I live about 30 minutes north of Brunswick ... it's a nice area.

Yes, Mainers do have a unique accent. Only here do people put "r"s where they don't belong, and don't pronounce them when they are there!
I might add, however, that the only time I have an accent is when I "put it on." If you were to meet me you would not know I've lived here all my life.

If you like photos of Maine, take a look at my home page. I've got a link there to my gardening site. In a couple of weeks, I'll be posting fall foliage pictures.

I'm new to h2g2, too. I've only been hanging around about a month or so.

Muddy

happy first day of autumn

Post 4

The Entity

cool, I'm sure you know Bowdoin College, I go to the music festival there during summer :o)
anyway, happy first day of autumn :o) ahhh, always things evrywhere are reminding us of time passing...ahh, well.
anyway, have a good afternoon,
the entity

Post 5

Mdy H20s

Bowdoin has beautiful architecture and I like the campus, although it's a bit small. Who played the festival?

The sad thing about autumn is that the days are so much shorter ... symbolizing the fleeting moments of our lives, etc., etc. ... *sigh*

Anyway, I wasn't really aiming for such a depressing ending.

smiley - winkeye Muddy

Post 6

The Entity

nah, that was not depressing, everything is remind us of our mortality, but that doesn't bother me...
it was um, like music camp(classical)...but anyway, golly, I'm sleepy!

Oh, have you seen the film, Lorenzo's Oil? We started watching it in science; it's a really amazing film! Its supposed to be an interesting introduction to our genetics unit (they boy, Lorenzo has this hereditary disease).

Hmm, well, have a nice weekend!
ciao!
the entity

Post 7

Mdy H20s

So, you're a musician?

No, I've never seen Lorenzo's Oil. Maybe I should check it out the next time I'm in the video store and can't decide what to get 'cause they're out of the one I came in for ...

I've spent a good chunk of my weekend manning my family's educational display at the Common Ground Fair. Ever hear of it?

Muddy

:o)

Post 8

The Entity

No, I haven't heard of that..
Ah, speaking of films, have you seen Doctor Zhivago? I saw it last night, it was really good.
Well, I don't have much time, school can be preoccupying, so bye
have a nice Tuesday evening.
-entity

Post 9

Mdy H20s

Doctor Zhivago --- a classic, and it was my grandmother's favorite movie. She particularly liked the soundtrack. Did you notice that the train has a "cow catcher?" It's one of those inaccuracies you see in movies once in awhile. (Trains only had cow catchers in the American West, I believe ...)

I'm trying to think what my favorite all-time movie is, but I haven't come up with an answer, yet. Do you have a particular favorite(s)?

Post 10

The Entity

Ah yes, I loved the music, it sounded very impressionist and in some places reminiscent of Tchaikovsky and in other places something by Ravel or something.. :o) It's actually not my most favorite movie in the world, I haven't seen very many movies; I really do like old films though, they seem more profound and have amazing cinematography!!!!
Albeit, there is one modern movie I enjoyed, that was American Beauty, in fact, I actually saw it while I was at [music] camp :o)
anyway, have a nice weekend :o)

Maine Slang

Post 11

aaeric

You forgot THE MOST important part of Maine slang:

Ayuh- ('Ay yuh) - Affirmative expression, almost always in front of a sentence
Ayuh, I went down to the harbor (pronouced 'hah bah) this morning, to get on my lobster (pronounced lob 'stah) boat.

Also, a classic:

Fart in a gale of wind (Faht in ah gale a wind)- to do something conterproductive.

The most distinct part of Maine slang is all "r"'s are pronounced "ah." also, in a multi-slyabic work, "ar" (like in harbor) is said "ah," and it softens the next letter after it.

You can tell I'm a serious Maine native!

aaeric
"Researcher 155006"

Maine Slang

Post 12

The Entity

so would your h2g2 name be pronounced ah-ric?
have a nice afternoon,
-the entity

Maine Slang

Post 13

Mdy H20s

I can't believe I didn't include "Ayuh!" (Actually, I thought it was so obvious that it was already on the list ... "wicked" is already theya.

I thought I'd heard 'em all, but "faht into a gale of wind" is a new one on me. (Most of my exposure has been inlandas.)

Maine Slang

Post 14

Attis

the Maine rock anthem:
I fart the lar and the lar won...

Maine Slang

Post 15

Mdy H20s

Good one, deah!

Key: Complain about this post