A Conversation for American Slang

offensive "coke" entry...

Post 1

Researcher 182273

I'm sorry, but I feel that the explaination of "coke" ('sounds silly in conversation') is a little offensive. It is not only spoken in the "deep south", but all around the southeastern U.S., and doesn't sound any sillier in conversation than any of the other slang terms mentioned. It takes just as long to say "I want a pop" "What kind?" "Root beer".


offensive "coke" entry...

Post 2

Earthman

Sorry, but it does genuinely sound silly to anyone who doesn't know the slang. Of course, virtually any slang used will either a) sound very silly to people from another region, and/or b) sound very silly to people of another age group.


offensive "coke" entry...

Post 3

Researcher 195594

Of course it sounds silly! The word "Coke" refers to a specific brand of soda, Coca-Cola. I can understand, pehaps, the use of "Coke" in describing another cola beverage, but soda in general? Sorry, no dice. Once more proves that the south has absolutly no idea what they are talking about.


offensive "coke" entry...

Post 4

Researcher 201305

Wow, I'm from the South, and even I know more than to paint an entire region of the US with such a broad brush. Yes, I agree the Coke thing is silly. It's really just a shortcut people use. Not everyone says it. Did you happen to read the Cockney slang? It's indecipherable AND silly.


offensive "coke" entry...

Post 5

Researcher 209006

I like to drink Coke. When I order a Coke in Houston, they never ask me what kind. If I want a different type of carbonated beverage I would ask for it by name--for example: "I would like an orange Fanta, please." And they don't ask if I want "ice and slice" like in England. We Americans know that the flavour of Coke is ruined by lemon, and it should never be served so warm that it is in need of ice! It works well. :o)


offensive "coke" entry...

Post 6

Researcher 214881

One of the most interesting things about American names for carbonated beverages is the regional variation. The boundry between that part of the counry where 'soda' is served and 'pop' begins is only a few miles wide. The use of 'coke' as a regionalism is equally defined by region. The amazing thing is that these terms endure in spite of migration.


offensive "coke" entry...

Post 7

Neith_

Add "tonic" in New England; it means not only soda water with quinine, but any carbonated beverage.

Use of the word "coke" to describe any carbonated beverage originated in the American South because Coca-Cola was created in Atlanta, Georgia. [It's still the predominant cola brand in Georgia.] Nothing to do with ignorance, merely habit and history.


offensive "coke" entry...

Post 8

masterzora

Considering that Coca-Cola used to be the dominant soda of America, it is of no surprise that people use the word "coke" generically. Though, it must be stated that it is generally found that the word "coke" is only used to cover all soda in situations where people are not talking about specifics. For example, at least in the Pac NW, you will rarely ever hear "Wanna coke?" "Sure." "What kind?", but rather just "There is coke in the fridge."


offensive "coke" entry...

Post 9

gail-i-ab

Er... Cockney rhyming slang is supposed to be indecipherable - as a Northerner I find Cockney slang strange but entertaining and clever - has anyone ever seen Lock Stock when Rory Breaker has a argument over the volume of the football on telly? Complete with satrical subtitles it points out that it's all tongue-in-cheek!


offensive "coke" entry...

Post 10

smilingeviltim

"Once more proves that the south has absolutly no idea what they are talking about."

Wow. That's really offensive. And ignorant.


offensive "coke" entry...

Post 11

dartaleck

There is also another meaning for coke, Polish marching powder.
Dartaleck


offensive "coke" entry...

Post 12

Far-Out

That's interesting. I've lived in New Hampshire all my life and I don't think I've ever heard that. But, yes, we definately use 'wicked'. My girlfriend (in Arizona) gets teased at work a lot because I've got her saying it. smiley - smiley


offensive "coke" entry...

Post 13

phoenix_67

"Coke" is short for "Coca-Cola", which is a specific brand. So yes, it sounds very silly when the word "Coke" is used to encompass all that is "pop" or "soda".


offensive "coke" entry...

Post 14

Allmighty Phil, Ruler of the many many moose of alpha centari

smiley - ermsmiley - ermsmiley - ermits doesnt sound odd, weird or ay other form of the word, when somone from the region says it to another meber of said region, its not used to encompassw all beverages so much as it is a generalazation (ie pants not jeans slacks and sweats) but it is just as natural for us as it is to say soda or pop in other regions. my girlfreind is from 'up north' where as i am a 'geriorga boy' and even she says coke (and has scince before she moved) on the ocasion when referensing a large group of mixed carbinated beverages.smiley - erm
smiley - ermsmiley - ermsmiley - erm


offensive "coke" entry...

Post 15

phoenix_67

Perhaps not as weird as 'dictionary' sounds anyway, eh? smiley - winkeye


offensive "coke" entry...

Post 16

ajannjones

Yes, using the word "coke" to refer to all carbonated drinks sounds silly, but southerns(in general)don't say it out of ignorance. It's just as Neith_ said. It has to do with Coca-Cola being founded in the south(Georgia). It's their history.

I've heard sillier things by not just Americans but Brits too. The use of some words, in both countries, make absolutely no sense. It's habit, and while it may sound strange or stupid, that's what they say. I say just deal with it.


offensive "coke" entry...

Post 17

SouthernSmarty

I don't think it was particularly offensive... because in reality, it probably does sound funny to anyone who isn't a Southerner and doesn't hear it often. I'm from the American South and my Canadian friend who visits us often always picks at me about calling everything "coke"... there is a difference between "coke" (lowercase "C") and "Coke" (uppercase "C")!

In the end, all slang sounds funny to those who don't use it... and I think we could all do for being a little less sensitive and laughing a little more at each other. After all, when you're laughing, you're not fighting. smiley - smiley


offensive "coke" entry...

Post 18

steviferg

As someone living in a state that incorporates that fine line between the usages of coke, soda, and pop, life is always interesting.

I am originally from St. Louis (on the eastern side of the state) where "soda" is the only acceptable term and the use of either "coke" or "pop" would elicit looks of confusion or possibly disdain. In Kansas City (on the western side of the state), "pop" is the exclusive term. In Southern Missouri, coke is used as the generic term. So when one of my friends from Cape Girardeau asks if anyone wants a coke, I know to ask what kind is available.

I now live in Columbia, which is located almost dead center from east to west, and slightly north. Columbia natives tend to use soda more frequently than pop or coke, but since the population of Columbia is incredibly transitive (it's a university town), the state of the language here is always in flux, and all three terms can be heard and understood.

I understand why the use of "coke" as a generic term could seem silly to outsiders, but with the history of the product and it's place in southern culture, it makes perfect sense to those who grow up there and they don't get at all confused. Personally, though, I'm sticking with "soda" and will raise my children to use the "correct" term smiley - smiley.


Key: Complain about this post