This is the Message Centre for Websailor

My Heart is still Thumping!!!

Post 6681

Willem

Hello Websailor and everyone else. Just to say, I also read here faithfully, almost every day, but don't always post!

Anyways like I said elsewhere, I had a nice outing to a game farm yesterday. Interestingly, since we've been speaking about honey badgers and honeyguides a while ago, I happened upon a honeyguide yesterday! It made the typical kind of chattering call which is supposed to indicate honey, but it flew off and far away when I approached it.

I've done reading about honeyguides. Their habit of leading people to honey is apparently dying out, as people use sugar more, and wild honey less.

Post 6682

Websailor

I noticed that when I read your post Willem. It is a shame they do not guide people to honey, but perhaps it happens more away from towns and cities. It always fascinates me the value that is placed upon honey where people live in a natural environment, yet we take it for granted.

Not any more I think, with the loss of so many of our honey beessmiley - grr Incidentally I have vowed not to let any of my wax worms develop in to wax moths!

Thanks for posting Willem.

Websailor smiley - dragon

Post 6683

STRANGELY STRANGE ( A brain on a spring )

I read daily when can too.

Post 6684

Websailor

Oh, thank you. I wasn't fishing, honest, well not much smiley - rofl

Post 6685

Heleloo - Red Dragon Incarnate

smiley - lurk

I read every entry and love them, just very rarely post

Post 6686

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

I'm always lurkingsmiley - lurkbehind the wallsmiley - smileybut half the time I'm shoved out there's that manysmiley - laugh

Post 6687

Websailor

Thank you all, that has put a big smiley - smiley on my face. Another short entry coming up.

Good grief, it is getting dark early these days smiley - doh Must smiley - run

Post 6688

Websailor

Sun. 16th August 09
Weather: Sunny and hot with a lovely breeze

smiley - bluelight I set the camera to take stills last night and was watching the four badgers munching away when I realised the camera wasn’t functioning properly! It kept blinking which meant I hadn’t pushed the switch up far enough smiley - grr

After they had gone I went out and sorted it, but visibility was very poor, even with the night vision glasses. It being Saturday night, there wasn’t much activity during the night, just one more badger (Boss Man) at 11.28pm but he didn’t stay long, was dashing about and the photos were rubbish, just a blursmiley - doh

The first of the daytime visitors arrived in the shape of a magpie at 6.14am but it was very quiet. I was rewarded with a visit from two foxes at 7a.30am and managed to get one photo on my digital camera before I got a ‘low battery’ signal smiley - steam Wouldn’t you know it.

The birds haven’t been around much today - partly my fault for mowing and strimming all afternoon and making a heck of a racket! It was very hot too. The grass seems to grow again as soon as my back is turned and it is hard graft.

Bullfinches, robins, nuthatches, great and blue smiley - tits, together with dunnocks, magpies and wood pigeons, were the only ones I spotted.

Back tomorrow (nite nite smiley - lurkers *waves*

smiley - cheers

Post 6689

Ivan the Terribly Average

smiley - lurk

Post 6690

WanderingAlbatross - Wing-tipping down the rollers of life's ocean.

Mornin Sailor,

Haven't dropped in for a while but thought you might be interested in the following. We're just back from hols in Portugal and spent last week not far from Portimao in the Algarve. In the evenings, watching the sun going down and the aerodynamics of the Swallows chasing insects, I noticed a whole flock of Swifts at a much higher altitude.

I'd read their numbers had been in steep decline this year but there were healthy numbers, over 50, in their flock. One evening they decended down to tree level and their flying skills make the Swallows look like trainees. Very, very fast, aptly named methinks, with fantastic changes of direction. Couldn't stop watching and smiling.

WA

Post 6691

Websailor

That's interesting WA, I am so glad there are some swifts here still as mine appear to have gone now. Their swooping and screaming always makes me smile too, it is a typical sound of summer to me an I miss them when they go. Ours were fewer this year and it appears pretty general. We haven't had as many humid days this year, which suit them as it bring the insects out.

Perhaps next year will be better. Nice to *see* you again btw.

Mon. 17th August 09
Weather: Sunny and breezy.

smiley - bluelight Three badgers came last night at 10.05pm an quickly had the table over and the dish openedsmiley - doh Two tucked in but the third went walkabout picking up peanuts and no doubt digging up a few worms.

It was 10.14pm before he joined the others at the dish. One was picking up sounds from down the garden, probably foxes, and kept pricking up his ears and listening. There was a fair bit of pushing, and the lid got slammed around a bit but in general they were well behaved smiley - smiley After a lot of dashing about they finally left at 10.05pm leaving very little for anyone else as far as I could see.

smiley - bluelight 11.38pm till 11.48pm and Boss Man was meandering round picking up bits and generally searching around, without much luck it seemedsmiley - doh

smiley - disco 11.57pm and the first fox showed up and was still around till 12.09am. 12.32am and 12.39am a fox was spotted again leaving at 12.44 only to return at 12.47am! Of course it could be a different fox as we have three that look the same smiley - doh 12.54am another dashed around for a few minutes!

smiley - disco 2.47am Another one, still managing to find something to nibble till 2.58am. 3.23am a return visit or yet another fox? Hanging around till 3.28am.

4.13am; 4.59am; 5.09am. 5.17am; At one stage two foxes were glimpsed at the same time but didn’t stay long enough to see them properly.

smiley - disco 5.44am till 5.59am at least one was loitering, and again at 6.02am till 6.13am, getting in the way of the clean up team. A magpie complained bitterly a the intruder smiley - biggrin

It was very quiet then till I started clearing the decks ready for McWebbie’s Diner clients at 7.29am. A squirrel waited impatiently for his nuts, leaping up the garden as soon as I disappeared for a momentsmiley - smiley

The usual magpies and wood pigeons arrived. Great tits, blue smiley - tits, blackbirds and robins descended in a flurry having ‘sussed’ the presence of wax worms! It is amazing how quickly the word gets around.smiley - biggrin

There are a number of young bullfinches in varying stages of undress so I think they have have several broods this year. smiley - applause Nuthatches have been back and forth, and a male chaffinch was spotted briefly.

smiley - starsmiley - star visitors this evening - two Long tailed tits, so I have put another peanut/insect cake out and will crush some digestive biscuits for them tomorrow smiley - biggrin

I forgot to mention yesterday that after I had mowed and strimmed and cleaned mower and strimmer I sat down for a smiley - tea and smiley - zzz for a few minutes, waking suddenly to find I had companysmiley - dohsmiley - yikes PHM was out bowling so it was a smiley - yikes indeed. Little CC from next door had wandered in through the back door and was looking for food or company as his humans were outsmiley - doh I don’t encourage feline visitors as you know and he was sent quickly on his waysmiley - evilgrin

smiley - cheers

Post 6692

Willem

Hello Websailor! What do you feed those wax moths on?

Honeyguides are unique among birds for being able to digest beeswax!

Over here very, very little remains of traditional lifestyles before the coming of Europeans. Sugar is available pretty much everywhere and I think the gathering of wild honey is pretty much nonexistent.

Post 6693

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

it's getting worse for the bees smiley - sadface

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/34372/Bee-virus-causing-world-crisis

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7739798.stm

Post 6694

Websailor

Willem, when I get them the wax worms will survive for several weeks without food provided they are kept cool. If the birds had their way they wouldn't survive days smiley - rofl They are supposed to have been treated so they don't develop further, but of course a few get through intact and I have had wax moths emerge. I now know not to allow them to go that far, as they are regarded as a pest by many beekeepers - and there are some not too far awaysmiley - doh

The wax moths seem to eat everything, or at least the larvae do:

http://www.newtonabbotbees.org.uk/pages/articles/004_waxmoth_pf.htm

Post 6695

Websailor

Tue. 18th August 09
Weather: Sunny and breezy.

smiley - bluelight Last night was another busy one with three badgers arriving at 9.38pm just over twenty minutes after I had put the food and camera out smiley - smiley They had a good mooch around before opening the dish at 9.41.
There was a lot of pushing and jockeying for position, and one badger was very concerned that ‘someone’ was down the garden waiting smiley - ghost He kept pricking up his ears and listening and twice he made a kind of bark/coughing noise as if warning them offsmiley - doh It was undoubtedly a fox that was loiteringsmiley - yikes

In fact at 9.54pm the camera picked up a pair of eyes down by the silverbirch which the badger spotted, and he repeated the warning noise as the fox came stealthily up the garden path. The badger snarled and ran him out of the garden smiley - yikes

They wandered round picking up stray peanuts, then one tipped over the table and the others congregated round. There was a bit of a scrap between two of the badgers as one got in the way of another and got his neck nipped sharply.

On the dot of 10pm they all disappeared smiley - smiley

smiley - disco 10.57pm and the fox at least ventured to the table for a nibble but his visit was shortlived as a badger came at 11.03pm and was also attracted to the table. He pushed under the vertical table top and got his head underneath to the point where I thought it was going to land on his head. At 11.17pm he appeared to have given up on food after cleaning out the dish.

smiley - disco 11.43pm A male fox was at the table. What is it about that tablesmiley - huh There surely can’t be any food left on it by now - just a taste perhaps smiley - rofl Foxes were still flitting around and at midnight two were feeding together, until about 12.18am.

smiley - disco Further fox activity at 12.36am until 12.57am.

2.48am until 3am more fox activity and again at 3.57am until at least 4.04am.

There was little for the clean up team to do, and they wandered around aimlessly. A jay arrived and helped himself and bullfinches, ‘ticking’ robins, great and blue smiley - tits arrived along with a male blackbird. I had put some wax worms out and they were clearly delighted.

smiley - star The new peanut cake attracted a male GS Woodpecker at 9.40am., the first for a while, and the nuthatches were busy too.

smiley - cheers

Post 6696

AlsoRan80

very dear abbi,

How are you? It is ages since we have spoken. hope you are keeping well.

You will love this thread of my friend. !! She has the wildlife of Birmingham in her pocket - in a manner of speaking!!

With much affection

Christiane.
Alsoran80
Wednesday 19th August, 2009 3.40.a,n, BST

Post 6697

AlsoRan80

Dear Orof.

I remember reading about this threat to the bees quite some years ago. To the best of my recollection it was because of the pesticides that are used on the fruit trees, used to keep our fruit looking good but in the process killing off the bees that are needed to pollitate them.

At the time it seemed that we either had to b contecnt with fruit that was not so perfedtly formed, but had a little bit of a kink here and there, or have no fruit at all.

No one bothered though and the fruit coutined to be sprayed with the pesticide that was killing off the bees. I even seem to remember the same.

Oh my goodness. What we have done to our wonderful planet.

Christiane.

Wednesday 19th august, 2009 3.45 a.m. BST

Post 6698

mankind will kill everything in time, even himselfsmiley - sadface

Post 6699

Websailor

It's not like you to be that pessimistic Prof smiley - smiley I still have faith that we will 'wake up and smell the coffee' - just in time. Still civilisations have destroyed themselves before so lets hope you are wrong smiley - biggrin

Post 6700

smiley - winkeyewhen we can remove the DNA genes for hatred/greed and jealousy then we'll progresssmiley - smileyto a united planet

end of serious bitsmiley - laughsmiley - laughI don't know what came over mesmiley - ermsmiley - erm

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Websailor

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more