A Conversation for Talking Point: What Do You Want For Christmas?

Peace

Post 1

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

No, not the old chestnut espoused by every Miss World since day 1....aka I want world Peace for all.....
No, mine is the totally selfish peace to be on my own over C*&^%$£#s.
Two parts of my Family live in Broadstairs, Kent and two here in Brentford, middlesex. All expect me to go to them for C*&^%$£#s, so when I cut myself in four, two parts can go down the M2 to Broadstairs, one part can walk 50 yards to Mums, and the last part cabn walk the mile or so to my Sisters. The fact there is no Public Transport on either day, and I have no car doesn't seem to fit the equation. Also no-one will collect me, as they can't drink.
As I only have two days is this a totally selfish attitude?
Solution:-
1) Visit local from 12:00 till 14:00, then back to mine for Mum, self and friend who is by himself to have dinner, then just chill. Heaven.
2) Wait for nagging realtions to say "You never visit us for C*&^%$£#s"

Please visit thread A703126 and have your say there too, if you wish.

"And a bah Humbug to you all, every one!"
smiley - musicalnote

Peace

Post 2

Agapanthus

Ooh, how I empathize. My parents are divorced, Dad in Scotland Mum in Hampshire, and then there's my darling man's parents in Dorset, and so we go running about the country like demented point-to-pointers and having 'discussions' from October onwards about whose turn it is do which bit with whom and when did we last see so-and-so for New Year and should we hire a car or bankrupt ourselves with train/air fares.

The most peaceful Christmas I had was two years ago, when I had the most awful tummy bug and spent five days not eating and not moving more than ten feet from the loo and I got to curl up on the sofa and watch telly and listen to Harry Potter on the radio on Boxing Day and despite the nausea and cramps and by day three constant hunger, I was SO RELAXED! I'd recommend pretending a tummy bug, if necessary...

Peace

Post 3

Hey, what a great idea. The only problem is I don't think it will wash every year. Also, just to add insult to injury, my Mum's birthday is New Years Eve, and Dad's is the 21st of December!!!!!
Thankfully we have decided to reduce the spend rate for this C*&^%$£#s period. My Bank Manager wil be pleased, especially as I also have a step-sister and step-niece.

O/~

Peace

Post 4

2 of 3

Well you all sound fortunate to me. There are some people who have no choice as to where to go and will spend Christmas alone this year!

2/3

Peace

Post 5

Hiya 2of3,
You are right of course, and I would not be too bothered most of the time.
I can feel for those who have nowhere or anyone to spend C#@*&^%$s with.
In fact I have an acquaintance who is coming for Dinner, as he gets low due to his Mother dying last year, and has no other relative locally. So I am conscious of that fact. However it does not resolve my predicament of satisfying everyone who wants me to visit them within a two-daytime scale, and get a bit of respite from the frantic retail build-up between now and then.

smiley - musicalnote

Peace

Post 6

Deb

My way round this one? Everyone's coming to me! Yes I get the hassle of cooking dinner for a load of people, but they're very well behaved, will turn up within the given time frame, will help with the washing up and will take turns being the caller for bingo. We seem to have got Christmas down pat in our family, my mum and I alternate, and the formula is pretty much the same every year. It's so good, my 21 year old stepbrother, who has to go to his girlfriend's parents this year, has insisted they come to us in the evening so as not to miss the fun and games.

I love Christmas and I genuinely don't find it a chore to spend the day with my family. But then there's Boxing Day, which should be called turkey & veg day - eat cold turkey, mash & pickle (best meal of the year) and veg out in front of the TV watching the DVDs we got for Christmas.

As usual, I can't wait.

Deborah smiley - towel

Key: Complain about this post