This is the Message Centre for Also Ran1-hope springs eternal

Watering and other thoughts...

Post 21

Smudger879n

Hi Folkssmiley - biggrin, Well that ivy we planted is still alivesmiley - laugh so at least I can grow somethingsmiley - ok
We paid a bloke to cut our grass a while ago, and he must have set his mower on "high" as it needed cutting again a few days latersmiley - erm
So I did it myself, took a while, but Hey! I have got plenty timesmiley - laugh

Remember that tool I made myself for pulling weeds out the garden? Well a bloke came up to me the other day while I was using it, and asked if I could make one fore his wife, who is in a wheelchair but enjoys gardening.

I knocked one up in about half an hour, and he went away happysmiley - cool
So there are two of them in use nowsmiley - oksmiley - winkeye

smiley - cheersSmudger,

Post 22

Websailor

Oh, Smudger you are lovely, and clever. Just think how pleased the lady will be now.

It's the little things like that which make life so much better. I told PHM the other day that I was trying to sort out all the little things that irritate me, to make like pleasanter, and he said was he included.<huh< smiley - rolleyes I told him if he doesn't behave I will sort him out.smiley - tongueincheek

smiley - cheers
Websailorsmiley - dragon

Post 23

Shea the Sarcastic

Hi Smudger, I think the lawn people cut the grass "long" on purpose! They have to come back more often that way! smiley - winkeye

AR1, you can smiley - hug TJ all you like! I don't mind! I'm a hugger too! I have a few friends who call me that! smiley - biggrin

>But is helping/being considerate/thoughtful/unselfish,
>something which is inherent in one's character?
>Something which is learnt at one's mothers knee?
>Something which one has to expereince before one can do it?
>Something which is all three and develops in time?

I think it's all three. In difficult circumstances, it's a real, conscious effort to remain thoughtful and considerate. I learned the hard way to bite my tongue when I get angry. It keeps me from saying things I may regret. Poor TJ knows I'm really mad when I suddenly get quiet. smiley - laugh I'm always calmer after a night's sleep, and sometimes it's better for me to resolve matters then.

I don't think the gardener's will bother my impatiens much. They're in pots, and they just seem fixated on my flower beds. I think I'll just give up on them for now. There'll be time enough for wonderful flowers when we move into our own house! We're far from a water shortage here! In fact, the impatiens were a bit water-logged when I got them, and are just now coming back.

My wrists aren't too bad, thanks for asking! The surgery really helped. They still ache when I over-work them, but the difference is that they pain goes away when I stop using them, whereas before they hurt all the time. I wish your friend well. The first week after the surgery is frustrating, because you have to do everything one-handed, and using the hand you use the least while doing it! I was off from work, and rather bored, since in my spare time I enjoy the computer, doing puzzles (crossword, word games, sudoku), and drawing. I couldn't do any of them! There's only so long one can watch television and read.

Take care, my friend. smiley - lovesmiley - hugsmiley - rose

Post 24

Also Ran1-hope springs eternal

Hi my dear Shea huge smiley - hug

What a lovely long letter from you. thank you so much. And wonderful news about the house. Are you buying it or are you building it? Is it on Long Island or somewhere else? Glad about the impatiens and thanks for the advice about the carpal tunnel op. My friend who also happens to be my gardenenr is having her right foot operated on and her left wrist!!. When I asked her how she was going to manage, she replied, with a wicket gleam in her eye, "Well, my husband will just have to help". I hope he does
I know I am quick tempered and I do regret it. I do manage to control it - sometimes - and then forget all about it. But when I ask questions about justice etc. that is when I well don't lose my rag completely, but defintely ask questions which make folk think. That is why I think I have suddenly unleashed a whole lot of memories about that day on June 16th In Soweto when the schoolchildren boycotted the schools and the result was both devastating and actually turned the tide of apartheid.
K. has just come in. We are going to have breakfast and then water.
It was so good to hear from you.Have a good weekend.

Much affectionate smiley - love to you both
Christiane AR1 smiley - schooloffish

Post 25

Very dear Smudger, smiley - smiley

Well you sound full of beans my friend. I remeber your weeding tool. I wonder eif you could not patent it? Then you could not only benefit others but also make a little extra for the two of you.

I honestly think that people who set lawnmowers too high so that they can come again ar really the pits. That is cheating. that is like shortchanging one on goods , or money or things like that. I suppose that that is one of the great things about supermarkets and that is that they dare not short change you on weights. It seems to be the producer who is beaten down to the lowest price that they can offer. Oh dear!

Am off now. Go well my friend and have a good weekend both of you.

Christiane AR1 smiley - schooloffish.

Post 26

smiley - biggrin
Thank you

AR1 smiley - schooloffish

Post 27

Smudger879n

Hi AR1smiley - biggrin, Thanks for that, I actually made a tool that would really help disabled folk, ands I even checked with the UK patent site to see if it had been done, and it wasn't theresmiley - ok
When I made contact with that invention site they signed a confidential agreement with me, and told me that I would need £100 just to register it for a patent? Then the patent itself would cost me moresmiley - erm
So I gave up on the whole ideasmiley - sadface
I still have the drawings along with all the notes that go with itsmiley - ok
smiley - cheersSmudger,

Post 28

I';;speak to my son. He was what is called a "venture capitalist" - and I think that is what they used to do. As he is in te States at the moment, and as my email is not working due to some unknown complication, I shall do it when he comes back .

Good luck with it.

Christiane AR1 <schooloffish

Post 29

Smudger879n

Ah! Cheers for that AR1,I appreciate thatsmiley - ok

Whats wrong with your Email?
Try going into the "help" section of your PC, you could find the answer in theresmiley - cool

I still cant get used to the large print on this new 19" screen I boughtsmiley - cool Its great! wish I had bought it ages ago now, well worth the £158 I paid for it. Everything is larger on it, so it would be good for folk with poor eyesightsmiley - cool

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Also Ran1-hope springs eternal

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more