A Conversation for Miscellaneous Chat

Has anyone here ever heard of Saki?

Post 1

Buff

The author, not the drink. (A.K.A.-H.H. Monroe)

Post 2

Wand'rin star

Yes. I grew up in an almost bookless house, but for some reason my parents had a set of his stories bound in blue leatherWjy d'you want to know?

Post 3

Wand'rin star

BTW fancy going through life with the names Hector Hugh. Enough to drive anyone to naming themselves after a drinksmiley - smiley

Post 4

Buff

I read some of his stuff years ago, and found it very funny. The other day I discovered that he is apparently an incredably obscure writer, and none of my freinds in the physical world had heard of him. So I decided to see if anyone here had done. Now I know that there is at least one other person out there who knows of Saki. Cool.
smiley - smiley

Post 5

Wand'rin star

When I started travelling there were still ex-colonial expatriates about who behaved like his characters smiley - sadface

Post 6

Buff

That must have been strange.

Post 7

Wand'rin star

In some of my more desperate moments I think I may be heading that way myself. I may check out the university library or the secondhand bookshops round here to make sure ,

Post 8

Buff

I'm fairly sure that I only act like fictional charecters on purpose. I've found that behaving like Conan the barbarian, for example, gets me a drink at the bar much faster than what using my own personality gets.
On a completly different note, I've been searching for Saki's stuff in used bookstores and such for about four years now. I think my search would probably get better results if I were to put a bit more effort into it though. I usally just glance into the humor section. Not really the way to conduct a search.

Post 9

BuskingBob

I have a vague memory of there being a television series of stories by Saki - this would have been a VERY long time ago.

Post 10

BuskingBob

I have a vague memory of there being a television series of stories by Saki - this would have been a VERY long time ago.

Post 11

Buff

Never heard of such. Please, enlighten me. (to the best of your abilities)

Post 12

Zelda

I have vague memories of there being a television series of Saki stories, but I'm afraid I can't give you any details.

Post 13

Buff

I wonder if there is a version on videocassette somewhere. With my extra special search methods, I'll likely never know. Maybe I'll be lucky and it will appear on A&E or Nick at Nite.

Post 14

BuskingBob

I doubt if the television series would be on video - we are talking late 1950s or 60s I think. This is before recorded history as far as some people are concerned!

Post 15

Buff

Bummer

Post 16

Buff

On second thought, at least I now know that Saki is not just a figment of my imagination. I wonder if I could find out what publisher owns the rights to his stuff. Maybe I could get some info on availibility. I'd try Amazon or some such, but my firm belief that credit cards are a blemish upon the fair face of finiancial balance is bound to make them uncooperative. Eh..(shrugs)

Post 17

Zelda

Just had a quick look at Amazon for you. You may be interested to know they have loads of stuff by Saki - I didn't know he was so prolific. As a matter of fact I'd forgotten I'd ever heard of him until I saw this forum!

Post 18

Buff

Hmmm... Maybe it's time for me to try to find freinds with credit cards. Or aquire a debit card. If the prices ain't too bad, maybe I'll soon own some Saki. Thanks for the look.
smiley - smiley

Post 19

Zelda

I really think you should - the prices were very reasonable, starting at 80p. Happy hunting smiley - smiley

Post 20

Magnolia

I am surprised to realize that Saki has been on the list of unknown persons. I particularly loved a story about a talking cat called Tobermory. I think what was special about him was that he was cool before the concept of being cool was expressed by this word.

Key: Complain about this post