This is the Message Centre for Rickshaw Splat

English Food

Post 1

Rickshaw Splat

Whilst driving to work today I was thinking about tourists and what they think of English Food. This inspired me to sumbit entries on Yorkshire Puddings and Cowpats. I do apologise to any Yorkies that I have offended but you have to admit that on the whole English food is pretty dire and the average Yorkshire pudding as served to a tourist is nothing to be proud of.

English Food

Post 2

Cutlery, co-founding Freak and Patron Saint of Cutting Remarks ?¿

That's nothing compared to Scottish food... Haggis is hardly appetising (sheep's lungs, kidneys, liver and heart inside it's stomach). And also think of fish and chips or deep fried mars bars... not hugely good on the presentation front. smiley - winkeye

English Food

Post 3

Mad Hatter

Quite frankly, although in a kind of slightly biased and Yorkist way, I am astounded by your opinion of what is one of the finest and best thought out foods in the history of stodge.

The humble Yorkshire pudd'n has kept the wolves from the door of many a poor hovel in the North by filling the stomach so full of expanding dough that the family only ever had to but one joint of beef which was wheeled out every Sunday but noone could ever find room for it. True economical cooking.

(NB, the success of this depends on the traditional method of serving the stodge as a starter; the method favoured by the Theme Pub of today, whereby a pudd'n is filled with chilli or some such incongruous sludge misses the point entirely)

English Food

Post 4

maryhinge

you can tell a yorkshire man but you can't tell him much

English Food

Post 5

Rickshaw Splat

You can take a Yorkshireman out of a Yorkshire Pudding but you can't take a Yorkshire Pudding out of a Yorkshireman.

You can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you can fool all of the Yorkshiremen all of the time.

English Food

Post 6

Cutlery, co-founding Freak and Patron Saint of Cutting Remarks ?¿

smiley - bigeyes

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Rickshaw Splat

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more