A Conversation for Fingerless Gloves

Edited Guide Writing Workshop: A60214673 - Fingerless Gloves

Post 1

Vip

Entry: Fingerless Gloves - A60214673
Author: Vip - U188069

What I thought would be an interesting idea has turned into an Entry of the dull and boring kind. Does any have any ideas or shall I give it up for dead?

<fairy?

A60214673 - Fingerless Gloves

Post 2

bobstafford

Ok fair question (good idea for an entry by the way)

Points to ponder and expand...

1 why did they come about when did they first appear.

2 mass usage eg WW I in the trenches and why.

3 famous users Wilfred Bramble (father Steptoe) Fagin, needs research.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glove#Types_of_glove provides a pointer

Any help

Bobsmiley - smiley

Post 3

U168592

I like to incorporate the esoteric, are they used for things other than the obvious?

Post 4

bobstafford

Like keeping the milk warm when feeding orphan piglets smiley - winkeye

Post 5

Vip

How on Earth does that work, Bob? I'm curious!

Thanks for the ideas, guys. smiley - smiley

smiley - fairy

Post 6

bobstafford

Put a fingerless woolly glove on the rubber glove put milk (warm) in the rubber glove and let the new piglets suckle on the fingers. Remember to poke a pin in the finger tips of the rubber glove to let the milk outsmiley - smiley

Post 7

Vip

Brilliant! smiley - laugh

<fairy?

Post 8

bobstafford

You are welcome smiley - laugh

Post 9

bobstafford

someone has a patent on one type it appears

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/4164043/description.html

smiley - smiley

Post 10

bobstafford

This might help show the idea has been about for some time
Roman boxing gloves a bit extreme but the idea is there and they are fingerless smiley - laugh

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g34/genesphotobucket/inspirational%2520illustration%2520color/inspirationalcolorblogsize/caestus.jpg&imgrefurl=http://oldguardgamingaccoutrements.blogspot.com/2009

And Russel Crowe is wearing a pair in the film gladiator so assuming the research has been done correctly its a pointer.

That should get you started I hope
smiley - smiley

Post 11

Malabarista - now with added pony

I find them very convenient because you can still play musical instruments while wearing them...

Post 12

minichessemouse - Ahoy there me barnacle!

Good for in chilly lectures too, you can still hold your pen to write.

I wear mine most of the time really. I can't stand proper gloves (the kind with fingers) so find myself a few pairs of fingerless gloves every winter. (they fall apare and I lose em)

minismiley - mouse

Post 13

Titania (gone for lunch)

Like Mala said, useful for playing instruments in cold weather. I used to play the flute in a marching band and each year, we'd play in the 1st of May parade (not sure if this is a purely Swedish thing) and would you believe it - one year it actually snowed on us! In May!smiley - brr

Post 14

Elentari

I'm not sure what to suggest. smiley - erm

The only thing that comes to mind really would be an expansion of the sort of gloves you can get - so just plain fingerless ones, or those mittens you can get where the fingertips are exposed but there's a flap you can attach over them to cover them.

Post 15

Emmily ~ Roses are red, Peas are green, My face is a laugh, But yours is a scream

Good idea for an Entry Vip smiley - smiley

erm, I'm not sure 'miraculous invention' is apt for fingerless gloves.

Most leave most of the fingers exposed, not just the tips.

Market stall holders and people working for them often wear fingerless gloves partly to make handling change easier. Though the disadvantages are that the exposed fingers can get very cold, almost to the point of numbness. So the hands need to be shoved in pockets, or under coats at regular intervals.

You could include why people wear fingerless gloves, their advantages and disadvantages. smiley - oksmiley - smiley

Good Luck

Emmily
smiley - bluebutterfly

Post 16

akafanges

I'm an on course bookmaker, and find fingerless gloves very useful in this weather. The're also necessary for professional cyclists.smiley - run

Post 17

I'm not really here

for grip - not easy to hold a milk bottle in gloves. Although that's a bit out of date now!

I used to wear them for warmth on my bike, my mum made me some when I was 14, moaning that they were 'for milkmen' but I found my fingers kept toasty warm underneath the handlebars.

I only wear 'proper' gloves when it's seriously cold, like the recent cold snap, but it was so cold my van doors froze shut so please forgive me! I don't find my fingers get cold, but I do wear proper ones, not fancy ones, and I'm walking, rather than standing about on a market stall.

Seen these? http://www.etretouchy.com/ If they had grips on, I'd get some. I only need thumb and one finger free, but I need the grips as I'm holding things and normal gloves are too slidey.

Post 18

Malabarista - now with added pony

Try riding gloves; they usually have good gripping surfaces! Or use leather ones. You can easily trim the tips off the fingers you need free smiley - ok

Post 19

I'm not really here

Fraid not.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ahem.

They fray as it is, don't want to speed the process up. smiley - biggrin

Post 20

Vip

Just to let you know I'm popping this into the FM. I don't think I'll do a good job on it. If anyone else wants the idea, feel free to scavenge what you can!

smiley - fairy

Key: Complain about this post