Fingerless Gloves

2 Conversations

Under Construction


Fingerless gloves are a miraculous invention designed to keep your hand protected, whilst leaving your finger tips exposed to keep their dexterity. Some fingerless gloves have openings for each finger, and some just have one opening for all of them.

For Protection


Some tasks require gloves, but they don't want the extra heat. People like weightlifters, climbers or cyclists will often have fingerless gloves for protection, but not for warmth. Such gloves will often have extra protection in the palm, where the friction occurs. They can often be open at the back or have built-in vents to allow heat to escape.

For Warmth


Sometimes you may need warmth, but you can't lose the dexterity in your fingers. Musicians, especially those performing outside will often use fingerless gloves, as would typists in a cold office, anglers and anyone else who needs precision from their fingers and help against the cold.

Common Materials


The materials you needs will be down to what you require from the gloves. Protective fingerless gloves tend to be made of tough stuff, such as leather or nylon. Ones worn for warmth are usually made of wool, polyester or other knitted materials.

Alternate Uses

  • Do you find that the milk you use to suckle orphaned piglets gets cold too quickly? Cover a rubber glove with a fingerless, woolen glove. Fill the rubber glove with warm milk and put a pin prick in the tips. Let the piglets suckle away, while your fingerless glove keeps the milk that bit warmer.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A60214673

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more