A Conversation for Challenge h2g2

Challenge: SciFi Authors

Post 1

Rev Nick { Only the dead are without fear }

For someone with time and a true bent for SciFi, a University project perhaps? A few starts (with reviews and threads) are:

Robert A. Heinlein ... A650369

Arthur C Clarke ... A423334

Isaac Asimov ... A391763

Post 2

Icy North

I've thought from time to time about covering Asimov's Foundation series, but I've not read all of them, and Wikipedia is pretty good on them, to be quit honest.

Nor Sci-fi, but I could cover Arthur C Clarke's Mysterious World - it would link nicely to other entries in the guide. Leave this small part of it with me.

Post 3

These were the first 3 that shaped my interest in the genre ... before it transitioned to Science Fantasy. Edgar Rice Burroughs as well, with his "Mars" series.

I have read the Foundation trilogy atleast a dozen times, finding something new each time. The earlier and later add-ons were very good, but I've not had the time to give them the several-times-over.

I have seen in a few threads here (over the years) some references to Heinlein being considered a misogynist due to his writing of female characters. It's not a characteristic that I saw, but then ... I'm not of the gender. Still, his tales have proved educating and binding.

And I am sure there will be folks with authors they favour as being important to the genre. Considering h2g2, the trilogy in 4 parts, was quite a spoof on that genre, it just seemed that a reasonably well rounded collection might fit in. Despite what-ever Wiki might have on individual pieces and players. Sadly, I have neither the time nor the skills to produce such a collection.

Post 4

U168592

I've oft thought of doing an Entry on Philip K Dick, so we'll see.

Post 5

David B - Singing Librarian Owl

Writing an Entry on Wyndham sent my head all funny, but that may have been because I spent several days solidly reading as many of his books and short stories as I could get my hands on as research!

I haven't written an Entry for ages. Ought to do so.

Post 6

I had almost forgotten the Triffids. Very possibly the first SciFi I read.

Post 7

Icy North

Triffids was one of my favourites, too. smiley - monstersmiley - run

Looking forward to the Wyndham entry smiley - ok

Post 8

Icy North

Whoops - misread that. You've already written one of course: A5718486

Post 9

U168592

What about Jules Verne too? smiley - yikes

Post 10

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Michael Moorcock anyone?

Post 11

anachromaticeye

I know it's not on the list but I'll have a go at Iain M Banks once I've finished up my old entries. On that note has anyone read The Algebraist? smiley - ermBecause I thought I spotted a huge flaw in the premise.

Anyone know much about Alfred Bester? I've only read Tiger Tiger but I thought it was briliant

Post 12

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

The Demolished Man is rather excellent, too, aae.

Post 13

anachromaticeye

smiley - boing I'll get the library-working cousin to get me it.

smiley - cheers

Post 14

U168592

um, maybe William Gibson too...

Post 15

Tamrhind

I'm compelled to add my ha'porth here to say how thoroughly disgusted I was with Hollywood's execution (as in Guillotine) of 'Starship Trooper - surely one of the most thought-provoking novels ever!

It is NOT about a bunch of meathead Marines (of either gender) out for a good ol' fashioned bloodbath, American Xenophobe style, as it's made out to be. And where was the M.I.s powered armour? The alien hive intelligence? Sheesh!

Worth doing some kinda review of the book? (ain't going near the film again!)

Post 16

Tamrhind

Presuming you're referring to Moorcock novels like the Elric/Stormbringer series, I doubt any would consider them SF - fantasy, most assuredly.

Post 17

Tamrhind

I've got a number of the Dune books so could do an Entry on Frank Herbert.

Post 18

So, is anyone up to the challenge? There is still nearly a month of the lull of summer ... smiley - whistle

Post 19

U168592

I think I could possibly do something on Verne. Don't hold me to it though. I've a lighter than air submarine to build, and an anti-dinosaur spray to concoct for my journey to the centre of the Earth next month.

Post 20

Tamrhind

OK, I'm assuming what's wanted is a Herbert bio, not a "Dune" coverage as ther seems to be more than one of those floating around. If my assumption is going to make an ass out of u & me, please let me know ASAP. Working...

Key: Complain about this post