A Conversation for Challenge h2g2

Halifax

Post 1

bomias

There's not much about Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

I'm considering going to university there, but don't know much about the city....

Halifax

Post 2

Oberon2001 (Scout)

... Or Halifax the bank...
Oberon2001

Halifax

Post 3

David B - Singing Librarian Owl

or the Halifax aircraft...

Halifax

Post 4

Fish Fairy

I live in Halifax, so if you have any questions I could probably answer them. I have all my years here plus a large network of Haligonian relatives to draw on for information.

Halifax

Post 5

bomias

Okay
Dalhousie University: Good/bad/fun/ugly?
I really know nothing about the school except that they have a marine biology program, which is why I'll be applying there for next year. I visited the city briefly a few years ago, but had no idea then that I might go to school there.
smiley - smiley

Halifax

Post 6

Fish Fairy

Dal is the biggest university here, out of the three. It is what you would call the most science-y university. I don't know much about the marine biology program specifically, but there is plenty of ocean around here to study. smiley - smiley

Dal is probably in between a medium and small -sized university. You still get the hundred or so people in a first year Bio class, but it's not overly gigantic and/or intimidating. And it's not like it's "sister" college, King's, at which everyone not only knows you but knows the names of your sibling's boyfriends.

Fun, yes. I have enjoyed watching Frosh week (from a safe distance, of course) since I was a small child. And because of the large student population in Halifax, there is always a large variety of things to do in your spare time. We just had a hurricane, so you'll be safe from atrocious weather - we only seem to get them every fifteen years or so.

Dalhousie, and Nova Scotia universities in general, have some of the most expensive tuitions in Canada. I don't know if that's a consideration for you, but it's very annoying for me. smiley - smiley The central campus is gorgeous - ivy-covered walls and whatnot, plus tons of athletic facilities for those so inclined. It's a good place. About 75% of the people I know have either gone there, taught there, are going there, or are the children of professors (and get half tuition... grrr.). So I'm admittedly quite biased, but I hope I helped a little.

Halifax

Post 7

bomias

Thanks, that was some help.
The cost certainly is a consideration...but I really want to get a good university experience.
smiley - smiley

Halifax

Post 8

F F Churchton

"Sexy, your gonna find our range of loans, so sexy..."!!!

Halifax

Post 9

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Go on, tell him about the Split Crow, the Liquor Dome, and the taverns. Then the harbour, the Bluenose, and the Citadel (and why it's best visited in daylight hours!).

smiley - cheers

Halifax

Post 10

Fish Fairy

Unfortunately, the Liquordome et al. come equipped with some of the most fiesty bouncers in Canada - us young 'uns have to go to Quebec if we want to have a night on the town. smiley - winkeye

I will, however, second the motion on staying away from the Hill at night...

Halifax

Post 11

HappyDude

http://v.webring.com/hub?ring=halifaxuk

smiley - tongueout

Halifax

Post 12

clzoomer- a bit woobly

I grew up by the Pacific here on the Left Coast but my heart will always tug toward Halifax. Strangely enough because of how it reminds me of Victoria and Esquimalt here and also the great people. Yer lucky! smiley - ok

Halifax

Post 13

clzoomer- a bit woobly

HappyDude, I've been to that Halifax as well, my buddy lived just down the road from the man who invented street *Cat's Eyes* there. Lost a lot of brain cells on a pub crawl up and then down t'ill! smiley - cheers

Key: Complain about this post