A Conversation for Talking Point: Etiquette

is rudeness on the increase? That's not my experience.

Post 1

anhaga

For the record, I live in the centre of a metropolis of over a million people, a large proportion of them new immigrants from all over the world. Here are some of my answers to the questions in the talking points and I wonder if anyone else shares my type of experience:

When was the last time someone was genuinely courteous to you?

about ten minutes ago. people are generally always genuinely courteous.smiley - erm

Holding a door open for a member of the opposite sex: outmoded sexism or just common decency?

around here, the first person to the door holds the door open for someone nearby, regardless of sex. It's just common decency.smiley - erm

Do we need to invent new rules and codes to deal with a burgeoning populace?

not that I can see.

Could we learn more from other cultures about the way we treat each other?

perhaps that's why people around here are so polite: we're all from somewhere else.

Is a more spiritual approach to the burdens of modern life a way of taking off the pressure instead?

I don't know what that means.

Is there a custom you'd like to see make a comeback?

Not particularly. We still have most of them.smiley - winkeye

What's the rudest thing you've ever done (and do you regret it?)?

Apart from farting at the dinner table?smiley - erm

Post 2

freejames

I agree. The vast majority of people are friendly & helpful. I feel sorry for the rude and intolrant, they must lead sad lives.
One small point. Are you sure farting at the dinner table is rude or something to regret?smiley - monster

Post 3

anhaga

I am certain it is nothing to regret although I am uncertain about its propriety.smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more