A Conversation for Manchester United and the ABUs

A complete agreement

Post 1

Tom

As a not born and not bred Mancunian who for some bizarre reason supports Everton I feel it is my duty to inform you exactly how much people in Manchester HATE Manchester United, especially their fans. The reason why Man Utd are so unanimously despised by all an sundry is the due to the belief their fans have that they possess a divine right to win everything (even this seasons FA Cup which they didn't enter!). Another thing which gets on people's nerves is the staggering number of Man Utd fans who have no idea what
Old Trafford looks like or even where it is (it's in Salford and not Manchester by the way). As someone who comes from Manchester I can tell you that I know more people in Manchester who support Man City (although they tend not to admit it in public) simply because they are fed up with everyone supporting Utd.

To sum up, everyone hates a team that dominates, and it's made worse if the fans won't shut up about it!!
To sum up my summing up, Liverpool v Man Utd - I cheer for Liverpool every time - that should say it all.

A complete agreement

Post 2

Tommy T

To sum up the summing up of his summing up, there you go, that proves it! Even as an Everton fan, therefore not entitled to his own opinion, his is, in this one instance, completely right.

A complete agreement

Post 3

Tom

To sum up his summing up my summing up of the state of affairs (i think) - Man Utd fans are a problem. It would be better for everyone if they would simply return to the trees were they belong and stop trying to be clever. And my opinion is very important and completely within its rights as a sentient being to point out that you are an Altrincham fan "Tommy T" and therefore can be arrested for possessing an opinion and/or a brain cell.

Nob'eds

Post 4

Livzy

Could you possibly for one moment allow freedom of speech and stop being such repressive dictators?

Let people support who they want whether it be Man U, Barcelona, Bangor City or Tafarn Y Glob pub side.

I get sick of people slagging off football fans just because they don't support the same team.

Yes there are wankers who follow Man Utd but that is more to do with the fact that they are wankers rather than the fact that they follow Man Utd.

Football fans I like, Wankers i don't.

Which category do the previous correspondent fall into?

Nob'eds

Post 5

Demon Drawer

It's not just the fact that they win things, there was no ABL against Liverpool in the 70s and 80s it is the way they win things.

A prime example came in the recent Liverpool came. Alan Green on Radio 5 mentioned that after Sami Hyppia was forced to leave the field at the end of the first half, Gerard Houlier had a quiet word with the 4th official and resumed his seat and the Liverpool players didn't have words for any of the officials. Green's comment was if it had been the other way around. Sir Alex would have been up and down shouting at the near assistant referee and the Ref would have been surrounded by red shirts. Every challenge that isn't in Mau U's favour is met in this fashion, so it is attitude not ability that is hated.

So it's Chelsea for the Champions Cup then. smiley - smiley

Nob'eds

Post 6

Dinsdale Piranha

There might not have been an ABL round your way, but there certainly was round mine. There was also an ABL of a different flavour in the late sixties/early seventies, but in that case, the 'L' stood for 'Leeds'.

If Arsenal had managed to keep it up through the nineties, it would be they rather than Man U who would be the object of all the hatred. I think that part of it is due to football having become so fashionable in this decade. This naturally leads to it being shown a lot more, together with more football related programs being shown. You can't ignore the fact that a team you dislike is doing well, because they're always on the telly.

It happened in the eighties, but not so much. I remember being convinced that Barry Davies et al were Liverpool fans, because they were always on about how Liverpool epitomised footballing perfection. I also remember thinking it was strange that there seemed to be no Everton fans in the city back then. Then Everton won the championship and, surprise surprise, the city was stiff with them.

To sumarise: people always hate a consistently successful team, and not being able to ignore the success feeds that hatred.

Nob'eds

Post 7

Dinsdale Piranha

Another thing I forgot. These days there are any number of replica kit shirts out there, so just walking down the street will probably remind you of Man U (see what I mean about not being able to ignore it?).

I remember _*pauses to light pipe*_ when if you wanted a replica shirt you had to buy a t-shirt of the right colour (with a white collar of course), then send off for a badge from an advert in the back of Shoot! an' get yer Mam to sew it on for yer. Kids today? They don't know they're born.

Nob'eds

Post 8

Deano (Keeper of lemonade)

Can I say that I'm quite offended by this conversation. Thanks for standing by us Man United fans Livsy. OK, in defence of Man United supporters. I am a born and bred Mancunian and a Man United supporter. People often ask me why I support them. The answer: quite simply, because they are my home team, they represent where I come from and so I support them. This does not make me a hooligan,'nob'ed' or anything else insulting. I agree, there are some total prats that show the decent supporters up, but they are in their own category, not mine. I take it that anyone who calls Man United supporters is jelous of their talant and success and presumably doesn't have an ounce of good sportsmanship in their body. There, I've told you what I think, and in future I advise you keep your opinions to yourself.

Nob'eds

Post 9

Tommy T

only a personal joke. no need to blow your top. what category do you fall into?

Nob'eds

Post 10

Demon Drawer

On current form DD is getting ready for an ABL forum being set up in the next year or two.

Liverpool for the Champions League 2001. smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more