This is the Message Centre for SashaQ - happysad

Gems in the Edited Guide

Post 1

SashaQ - happysad

Amazing what fascinating Entries turn up when browsing through the h2g2 Guide...

Today I just found Snuggle Bunnies A591310smiley - loveblush

A few weeks ago, I also found Beer Pong, which had been mentioned on TV and I didn't know what it was, but now I do A1047881smiley - ok

Gems in the Edited Guide

Post 2

KB

smiley - laugh I wonder if anyone actually plays beer pong. It looks like far too much hassle to set up!

Gems in the Edited Guide

Post 3

SashaQ - happysad

Yeah - in the programme I heard the reference to it, they had the tabletennis table for the purposes of beer pong, but it had been covered with junk instead, so there was no actual demonstration of the sport smiley - laugh

Gems in the Edited Guide

Post 4

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Snuggle bunnies! smiley - wow I didn't know it had a name smiley - blushsmiley - droolsmiley - loveblush I go through periods where I seem to read an aweful lot of entrys, some randomly from the improbability button, or just follwing links from other entrys, until your so* far remeoved from anything related to the origional entry you were reading smiley - zen kind of zen-navigation through the drive.... how many steps from an article on a given subject, until you come to the exact opposite of what the origional entry was smiley - huhsmiley - zen at the moment, I must* get on and finish writing not* reading other entry smiley - dohsmiley - biro

Gems in the Edited Guide

Post 5

SashaQ - happysad

I didn't know it had a name, either smiley - loveblush

This week's gem was A57720477 Five Ways to Fry an Egg - I always struggled to fry a decent egg without splatting the yolk everywhere, and then I found that Entry, while searching for something else smiley - laugh

I like an 'easy over' egg, but I'd been making the mistakes of hitting the egg too hard to crack it, then overheating the oil, then not cooking the bottom well enough before trying to flip it, then overcooking the top... Correcting all those problems after reading the Entry resulted in superbly cooked fried eggs smiley - friedeggsmiley - ok

Gems in the Edited Guide

Post 6

Icy North

Here's my suggestion for this week's 'germs in the Edited Guide': A1026361

Gems in the Edited Guide

Post 7

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - laughsmiley - ok

So long since I added anything to this thread, as I miss playing snuggle bunnies smiley - cry but thanks to Traveller in Time smiley - tit I found this gem A301131 - Things that go Bump in the Night smiley - laugh Excellent!

Gems in the Edited Guide

Post 8

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit reading unknown entries on a daily base
"Glad to be of service smiley - biggrin"

Gems in the Edited Guide

Post 9

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

I completely forgot about that "bump in the night" entry. Done in the informative and yet light-hearted style that really made a lot of the early Guide "fun". Thank you for reminding me.

Gems in the Edited Guide

Post 10

SashaQ - happysad

My pleasure smiley - biggrin

Here's one I found today thanks to a link in one of my Entries - a fine vintage Tufty Entry A17808870smiley - biggrin

Gems in the Edited Guide

Post 11

Icy North

I remember the arguments in PR like it was yesterday smiley - biggrin

Gems in the Edited Guide

Post 12

SashaQ - happysad

Aha! Yes, that is an impressively long thread! F5837850?thread=3646651

Gems in the Edited Guide

Post 13

SashaQ - happysad

Here's another one - how to tell the time without anyone noticing A2522701

My favourite method if The Wall isn't available is 'The Australian' followed by Softly Softly smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh

Gems in the Edited Guide

Post 14

You can call me TC

There are some really quaint things in there about mobile phones and digital watches.

A couple of the posts in the thread "I don't have a watch" are as good as entries themselves. Especially the one about there being no point in knowing what the time is anyway, as things are going to happen when they happen. (Actually I think that is quite recent, probably prompted by your link to the entry in this thread)

Gems in the Edited Guide

Post 15

SashaQ - happysad

Here's another one A87793988 - The Isle of Wight's Literary Connections

A fascinating collection of people and stories, well linked smiley - biggrin

Gems in the Edited Guide

Post 16

Bluebottle

smiley - wowOoh – it's a gem, is it?
I always suspected it would be remembered as 'a load of name-dropping waffle that desperately hopes that no-one'll notice that if anyone wrote a similar entry based on authors who'd been to either Oxford or Cambridge, it'd be a good forty-two thousand times longer' – but I'll happily accept 'gem'.smiley - smiley

<BB<

Gems in the Edited Guide

Post 17

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - laugh Yes, gem I call it smiley - ok

Here's another fun Entry A7715414 Reading a Person's Character Through Their Used Teabags - very accurate in my case indeed (finger pincher in ill-equipped office who leaves it to dry for reuse - has never knowingly bought a round of drinks!)

Gems in the Edited Guide

Post 18

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

smiley - snorksmiley - tea if anyone read my tea leaves.... or at least looked at the megollythic sized mountain of them in the bin each day... they'd porbably correctly assume I drink way too much tea now smiley - laughsmiley - teasmiley - teasmiley - teasmiley - tea

Gems in the Edited Guide

Post 19

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - laugh Very logical smiley - teasmiley - biggrin

I found today that there's an Entry on what Dave Gorman calls cat-phrases A54479226smiley - biggrin Here they are called eggcorns (as a mishearing of acorns).

Gems in the Edited Guide

Post 20

Bluebottle

smiley - okStill think 'cat-phrase' is a better termsmiley - winkeye

<BB<

Key: Complain about this post