A Conversation for Pigeon breasts on a leek risotto

Peer Review: A53617377 - Pigeon breasts on a leek risotto

Post 1

Essardee

Entry: Pigeon breasts on a leek risotto - A53617377
Author: Essardee - U14046362

This was worked out from a dish I had at the Grosvenor Arms in Hindon, Wiltshire some 10 years ago.

A53617377 - Pigeon breasts on a leek risotto

Post 2

Not-so-bald-eagle

sounds good !

(i must admit i prefer recipes that use weights rather than cups.)

Post 3

Essardee

I do usually, but rice seems to lend itself to volume measurement rather than weight. I was always taught that plain boiled rice made by the sealed pan method requires 1.5 parts (by volume) of water to 1 part of rice and that a quarter cup of rice is just about the correct amount for a single portion.

Post 4

Not-so-bald-eagle

Yes volume is fine in that case because it's used for the two 'ingredients' (rice and water), as you said, one part rice to 1.5 parts water. Here you have 1/2 cup of rice and 400ml of stock. I've no idea how much a 'cup' is and I thought others might have the same difficulty. Perhaps if you expressed the rice and the stock in cup measurements. Obviously, it's up to you....

(To be honest I make risotto a lot and have no idea of the quantities I use which is why I have trouble giving recipes)

smiley - coolsmiley - bubbly

Post 5

Essardee

That's the problem with risotto, each time you make it it requires a different amount of stock, and one uses a lot more liquid than when one is using the sealed pan method as, when using an open pan, liquid is lost through evaporation as well as absorption (this is why I would recommend using a light stock rather than a concentrated one for risotto).
I've described the recipe using the measures I have in the kitchen; measuring cups (volumes see below), jugs etc.
Specifically; 400ml is usually sufficient to make the risotto (unless the rice is very old, years past sell by date) and leave at least a couple of tablespoons for the sauce. 400ml is a bit tricky to describe in cups, the best I can do is 5/3rds and no measuring jug I know has that kind of measurement.

Cups are a fixed technical measure in the kitchen, although I understand that the American cup and the British cup are different (maybe a topic worthy of an entry of its own), my measures suggest that a British cup is the equivalent of 250ml or 9 fl oz with the 1/2 cup being 125ml or 4 fl oz, the 1/3 cup being 80ml or 3 fl oz and the 1/4 cup being 60ml or 2 fl oz, as you can see, not that accurate in relationship.

Certainly those of my, and preceding, generations understand the use of cup as a standard measure, my mother's cook book, inherited from her mother (Good Housekeeping; published in the 1950s but pretty much as used in the preceding decade), uses teaspoons, desert spoons, table spoons and fractions of a cup as its standards, I have to convert to metric as required.
Also; an American foodie site I frequent uses their cup equivalents when giving recipes.
So I think that many, if not most, cooks do understand the use of cup as a measure and the mixing of different measures is standard in domestic kitchens.

Maybe you should post a few recipes, the ability to be flexible in cooking is one of the most important lessons one can learn.

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

A cup is 284 ml.

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

Oh sorry, that's an American cup.

Post 8

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

I've only just noticed this recipe, sorry not to have responded before now. It certainly seems easy to follow to me, and sounds delicious. I may try it, as we all love risotto here.

As a matter of interest is there a season for pigeons, or are they available all year round?

Post 9

Essardee

All year round as they are considered vermin rather than game.

Post 10

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Thanks!

Post 11

Essardee

This has been sitting around for a while now, is it OK or not?

Post 12

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

It sounds, to me, as if the recipe works fine, but what seems to be lacking is a sort of introduction, to whet the appetite. A bit about why we should be eating pigeons - the sort of pigeons that are offered for sale. Where they may be bought, etc. A little story to bring the recipe to life perhaps?

There is nothing wrong with the entry - it just seems a little sparse at the moment, it needs a little more dressing up, or drama.

What do other people think?

Post 13

Skankyrich [?]

It used to be that well-known, classic dishes where a bit of background could be added - paella, Irish stew, spotted dick, stuff like that - was put into the Edited Guide, while people's own recipes went to The Post (see the archive at A690815). I don't know if that's still the case, but I think it probably should be.

Post 14

Sho - employed again!

Since it's been mentioned that Pigeon is considered vermin rather than game, perhaps a short intro to that effect - in effect: this dish is environmentally friendly!

Also - when I've bought pigeon before, I've always been warned that the birds might contain shot.

On to the risotto recipe - I like recipes given in cups. That means you can use a smaller or bigger container - as long as you use the same one the proportions will be right. Therefore, instead of "a cup of rice" and 15ml of vermouth, I'd prefer to see, a cup of rice and half a cup of vermouth.

As for stock - generally the stock provides some of the seasoning, if you run out of stock you can use warm water.

I also find that risotto needs a fair amount of seasoning.

Cooking risotto - that is a labour of love. The rice needs not only to be coated in the oil, it needs to be cooked in the oil with the leek until it is see-through. (there is a word for that but I never remember what it is). At that point you can add the stock ladleful at a time until it is absorbed.

Some people prefer their finished risotto without bite, but it's one of those things you need to try for yourself.

Finally - the key, IMO (and in my smiley - chef opinion) is that risotto isn't done properly unless it is left to stand for at least 2 minutes before serving. My preferred method is to add a large knob of butter, stir it in thoroughly and then take the pan off the heat and let it rest.

About the cooking of the pigeon: if you fry in butter you have to be careful that it doesn't burn (unless you're looking for that beurre noisette effect smiley - smiley) and my smiley - chef tip is always to add even a tiny drop of oil to the pan when frying with butter as it helps prevent burning.

This recipe sounds really tasty - and I really like the idea of fried thyme sprigs.
smiley - ok

Post 15

Phoenician Trader

Speaking as someone whose bird recipe was just picked...

Isn't it dangerous to eat undercooked pigeon - because they are vermin? Are there rules?

smiley - lighthouse

Post 16

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Essardee hasn't posted on this thread for 4 weeks now, nor to h2g2 for 3 weeks. I do hope she hasn't lost interest, I hoped this entry would be expanded a bit and make it into the guide eventually.

Post 17

Not-so-bald-eagle

>>>>>Isn't it dangerous to eat undercooked pigeon - because they are vermin? Are there rules?

I don't know of any rules but note that pigeon is often eaten 'rose' in France. The general idea is that young birds are eaten 'underdone' and older birds are cooked longer.

Supposedly it's not 'city pigeons' that are eaten but 'wood pigeons' (no idea about pigeons), so maybe it's a certain type. No idea really about that part.

smiley - coolsmiley - bubbly

Post 18

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Unless the author reappears this recipe may find its way to the Flea Market, where it could easily be expanded with the various suggestions from the thread so far.

Post 19

FordsTowel

Should the entry be abandoned, or the author return, I'd like the following suggestions considered for inclusion.

1) Although I'm no expert, I understand that part of a standard risotto recipe is to 'toast' the rice. This should follow step 3 or 4 when the chef will cook the rice a bit dry before beginning to add the stock.

2) It sounds like this is a recipe for 2(?), based on the amount of rice cooked. Maybe four, but a 'Serves: X' would be a nice addition.

smiley - cheers
smiley - towel

Post 20

Sho - employed again!

not 'toast' as such. You make some soft veggies (sofrito or something) then add the rice and cook until translucent. That helps afterwards with the absorption of the stock.

Key: Complain about this post