A Conversation for The Forum

This thread has been closed

The Veil & The Cross (Essentially UK Centric)

Post 1541

swl

I still stand by that. The mods here are extremely tolerant. You will *never* get a mod coming onto a thread on other boards to explain a decision. Five Live have only replied twice to over fifty e-mails I've sent. Both were sarcastic. I put a formal complaint to the BBC about the Moderators and was put into pre-mod the next day. Months later, I'm still in pre-mod. The Today mods never reply to e-mails.

We should be grateful that the HooToo mods even speak to us.

Post 1542

swl

If we thought the veil raised extremist opinions here in the UK, it would appear that the debate within Egypt is even more polarised.

http://www.eohr.org/press/2006/pr1106.shtml

"EOHR is deeply worried about the increase of claims of infidelity of opposition, whether ideological or political, for fanatic reasons, where thinkers are condemned to be infidels and face calls to shed their blood. Accordingly, EOHR denounces the statements of the Parliament member Ali Laban to execute the Prime Minister, the Minister of Endowment and the Minister of Investments on the charges of "attacking Islam openly".

It seems the Islamists in Egypt bypass the fatuous claims of Islamophobia and go straight for demands of execution.

Meanwhile, the Islamification of Kashmir instigated by Pakistan included a campaign by Islamists for women to wear the Burqa or Niqab.

http://www.hindu.com/2002/12/27/stories/2002122704891200.htm

So much for it being a woman's choice smiley - erm In such a volatile area it is understandable that the authorities turned a blind eye.
The relevance to the debate in the UK is that it is clearly a political move to wear the niqab.

Finally, a link to a forum debate between Muslim women on the veil.

http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6126

If opinion on the veil is divided in the West, it is equally divided amongst Muslim women. It seems that those who wear the veil cast aspersions on the morality of those that don't. It also shows that the Koran is contradictory on the subject, (Ha, like we don't know that). Strange that the "direct word of God", the "final message", "true for all people for all times" could be so easily misunderstood.

Post 1543

novosibirsk - as normal as I can be........

Good morning all,

Following on from SWL's comment on the PM's speech, I would refer you to Post No 1 of this thread, - and assure you that I do NOT work at Millbank House as a 'mole'.smiley - biggrin

Novo
smiley - blackcat

Post 1544

McKay The Disorganised

Coleacanth is a she.

smiley - cider

Post 1545

swl

smiley - blush

Post 1546

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Hmmm... where does this big problem of libel for racism exist?

An admitidly quick look on google didnt seem to me to provide *any* examples of people being libelled on the grounds of being decribed as a racist.

What a load of tosh. Copme on Jim you can do better than that, saying "Because we said so" owuld be less patronising.

Removed

Post 1547

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

This post has been removed.

Post 1548

But getting back to Blair and his craven acceptance of the racist agenda in his speech last Friday...

If I were an immigrant, I'd be furious at his linking of extremism with non-integrating cultures. I'd be thinking that the values of tolerance and democracy he advocated are shared by many, British and foreign, immigrant and indigenous. I'd be thinking that extremism is just as alien to other cultures as it is to the British. I'd be wondering why he's implying that extremism is an immigrant problem, rather than a wider political one. I'd be thinking that he's playing to a populist, racist agenda.

Post 1549

Afternoon Edward

<< Over to you guys. How would you feel about a site that did not allow racism to be challenged? >>

I think HooToo HAS allowed it to be challenged. You have posted most vociferously on the subject on this thread.

As a result we are all aware of your stance, your opinions, and your specific opinion of another poster in particular. You have been remonstrated with by me, and others for the content of some of your posts so we READ you LOUD & CLEAR.

I regret that you have had posts 'yiked', but believe me you have made your point adequately.

Novo
smiley - blackcat

Post 1550

You see I dont see things that way.

If I see something as racist, sexist, homophobic or whatever I will challange it. If necessary I will I will accuse someone of being one of those thigs. This is an "anytime, anyplace" policy of mine and not specific to hootoo.

I think perhaps why some people (and I am not saying this is you novo) find Ed's challanging of racism disturbing is that perhaps it is a bit too close to home. People dont like to see something they feel might appluy to them....

Post 1551

For the record, I think anyone who feels that you cannot be English if your parents arenot is a racist.

Post 1552

>>This is an "anytime, anyplace" policy of mine and not specific to hootoo.

Indeed. I've done it in a pub, and to a manager. (nothing particularly brave in this, I should add. I'm not a small person. smiley - winkeye)

Post 1553

Hi FB

No, I respect Edwards views, and I don't regard myself as racist or therefore a target. You'll just have to accept my word for that.

It can just get a little tedious when someone with Edwards undoubted intelligence make his position crystal clear, over and over again. It can get a bit like 'Eastenders' good in parts but overall tedious.

However, I would still defend his right, and yours, to say whatever you wish. It is still a free country, with free speech.......

Novo
smiley - blackcat

Post 1554

The H2G2 Editors

Having already stated that we need to look into the legal aspect of labelling someone as 'racist', Edward the Bonobo has taken it upon himself to post a number of posts that do exactly that. You can thank him for what follows.

It seems we cannot trust this group to work with us while we look into this matter. It's a shame that one person should spoil things for everyone else, but until such time as we can get full legal advice on this, this conversation will be locked.

We have a responsibility to adhere to legal guidelines, but we have also pointed out that namecalling is anti-social and forbidden by the House Rules. If the threat of legal action isn't enough, the House Rules should be.

The h2g2 Editors

Key: Complain about this post