This is the Message Centre for frenchbean

Geeks needed!

Post 1

frenchbean

Help? smiley - grovel

As some of you know, I am embarassingly unsmiley - geek-like smiley - laugh But here's a conundrum which somebody might be able to help with...

My sister-in-law is having trouble transferring some data from MS to Apple. I wonder if anybody can help point her in the direction of software which would help her? smiley - erm

"Charts and graphs I can transfer fine from Excel to XPress. However the problem is getting Word tables into XPress. If I import a Word file that contains a table into XPress, the table is ignored, the data comes across but I loose all the table format"

I you understand what that's about smiley - applause If you can suggest a solution smiley - applausesmiley - applausesmiley - hug

Fbsmiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - star

Geeks needed!

Post 2

Websailor

Hi, Fb, I can't help. I have the same problem! You could always send it by paper plane smiley - laugh

If no-one on h2g2 comes up with an answer try putting the question on the national question section of this website, they have some computer experts answering questions.

http://www.askyourneighbour.co.uk/home.php

websailor

Geeks needed!

Post 3

Pimms

If you have a loose table try putting a wad of paper under one of the legs smiley - winkeye

smiley - sorry never used an Apple

Geeks needed!

Post 4

FordsTowel

I don't use both systems, but one thing occurs that may be worth a try.

You can copy a Word table and paste it into Excel. The table will sort itself into Rows and Columns. If you can then send it to Xpress as a spread sheet, perhaps the table can be re-copied from Xpress and pasted, as a table, into a Mac word processing program.

Good Luck,
smiley - towel

Geeks needed!

Post 5

frenchbean

Thank you for the comments - both useful and less useful smiley - laughsmiley - ok

Pimms smiley - smiley Long time no see smiley - hug

And Fords too smiley - smileysmiley - hug How's your alterego these days? smiley - winkeye

Where you been? Or have I just missed you both in PR?

smiley - somersault

Geeks needed!

Post 6

FordsTowel

Hey, hey, hey!

Let me know if my suggestion was effective, on the chance I get asked again, someday.

Have you been checking the Front Page??smiley - biggrin

In the last week, my entries on 'Spotted Dick', and 'Adult Sleep Apnoea' have both reached EG status!smiley - oksmiley - applause (yay me)

I'm working on another one, with a sort of literary bent. It's proving an interesting project.

You know, I've still got a couple of entries simmering in Peer Review; 'Trigger Thumb', which seems not to be eliciting further comments, and 'Time: A Bi-Directional Dimension', which has received almost none.

Have I missed any of yours??smiley - doh

smiley - towel

Geeks needed!

Post 7

frenchbean

Hello Fords smiley - smiley

Well, my Orkney World Heritage Site triptych is mouldering in PR smiley - sadface They got quite a few comments and I have smiley - boinged all three a couple of times smiley - winkeye

I've another ready to go in and one half-written about the Ordnance Survey. Considering another on the mid-Atlantic ridge, following my trip to Iceland smiley - ok

I'll go check out yours - don't recall seeing either of them, but I'm only dipping in and out of PR these days, after getting thoroughly smiley - bleeped off with the lack of quality a while ago smiley - cross

smiley - somersault

Geeks needed!

Post 8

Pimms

Hi FB smiley - biggrin

I did have a hiatus after Lamarck and Luke Howard, but I have been posting and reading your journal entries, and now have two further entries in PR on a sort of "The letter e in European packaging" theme. Not at first glance an enthralling topic smiley - winkeye

Glad to see you've read at least one of them smiley - ok Apologies for not getting to your Orkney stuff, I have skimmed past them with my wastrel magpie eye smiley - sadface

Pimms (Fords, Sleep Apnoea similarly slipped through the net, but I did enjoy Spotted Dick, particularly the Diet version smiley - laugh)

Geeks needed!

Post 9

FordsTowel

Thanks, Pimm. smiley - ok
And to think that the diet version was the quickest bit, insisted on by a reader! (was that you?smiley - winkeye)

I have expected the 'Time: ...' piece to be the big controversy, especially after the rigorous examination that 'Gravity Sled' got.

Oh well, such is hootoo life.smiley - biggrin

smiley - towel

Geeks needed!

Post 10

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Fb, an expensive option would be to get Office for Mac - less expensive if you qualify for the student/teacher edition, which they're selling on the Amazon site.

Also, there is a Mac Users group at the Orchard A690653, who may be able to help.

smiley - fishO/~

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for frenchbean

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more