This is the Message Centre for frenchbean

Flour delivery day

Post 1

frenchbean

My latest delivery of flour arrived today and was waiting in the porch when I got home from work smiley - somersault I ordered Maslin, Granary-type, 100% wholewheat and Spelt.

Go to Bread Flour A2168804 to understand what that lot means (shameless plug smiley - tongueout)

The flour comes from a wonderful watermill in Cumbria, where they stonegrind flour from biodynamically grown wheat (from Lincolnshire and Suffolk). It's really high quality flour, which they use at the Mill in their cafe. Fantastic lunches! smiley - drool

I'll be spending a few hours this weekend baking. There is nothing like new flour, fresh from the mill, to make the best bread. And I get such pleasure from the simplicity of bread making - and the wonderful results. Best made in the morning, so that you can have a lump of still-warm bread with a bowl of soup or a plate of salad for lunch.

Tell me a greater gastronomic pleasure. Go on... I bet you can't!

Flour delivery day

Post 2

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I love bread, but unfortunately both I and little smiley - fish are intolerant to wheat! smiley - sadface

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Flour delivery day

Post 3

Hypatia

I think bread is my favorite food. I'm trying to lose weight on a low carb diet and would kill for the heel cut off of a warm loaf slathered with butter. smiley - drool

As soon as I lose another few pounds I'm going to add whole grain bread to my diet and seeif I can get away with it.

We have a mill about 70 miles from here where you can take in your own graion and they will grind it for you. And they sell all sorts of flours and cornmeal. It's so much better than what is available commercially. The product is probably similar to what you're ordering F/b.

Hsmiley - rainbow

Flour delivery day

Post 4

FordsTowel

Mmmm, homemade bagels! Mmmmm!
Rye Bagels MMMMMMMMMM!

smiley - towel

Flour delivery day

Post 5

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Sounds delish smiley - tongueout And just by coincidence, I was saying to Mrs Gosho last night that I should start making bread again since the stuff in the shops around here is either utter smiley - bleepocks or costs an arm and a leg.

Flour delivery day

Post 6

frenchbean

Well Gosho, I can recommend an awfully informative and helpful entry on bread making at A1325260smiley - tongueout

Hypatia: Happy New Year to you smiley - smiley How wonderful to have a mill nearby that will produce flour on demand. I would love that. I really hope to grow corn of some sort when I get my property in Australia (distant dream at the moment). You can get hand milling machines really easily there, so just mill enough for the bread you're making - the ultimate in fresh flour smiley - drool

ZSF - I'll be adding a para to Bread Flour this weekend about alternatives for folk who are wheat and gluten intolerant. It's not the same I know, but almost there...

Fords - I've never made bagels smiley - doh How remiss of me. I have a couple of recipes too. My favourite breakfast of all time is bagels and lox smiley - droolsmiley - droolsmiley - drool

F/b

Flour delivery day

Post 7

FordsTowel

Hi FB,

Bagel making is not difficult, and can be well worth the effort when one has the time. I'm not terribly fussy, and would normally settle for some of the better store-bought variety; and, in a pinch, even the cheapy ones are pretty good if you use plenty of butter and/or cream cheese; or some other smear.

My dilemma is that all local bagel places and national brands have stopped making Rye Bagels! And so, I am forced to make my own. My additional problem is that when I go to make MY bagels, the rest of the household wants me to make plain bagels for them (they, too, prefer fresh). It creates twice the work, takes almost twice the time, and makes producing the rye bagels less appealing.

One last thing about bagels: I've developed a New Flavor!

When I want these (and I have other takers), I add one, crushed, chicken bouillon cube for every three plain bagels. Chicken bagels! Yummm. It doesn't work so well in the rye ones, though.

Honest. You have to try it to understand.

smiley - towel

Flour delivery day

Post 8

frenchbean

smiley - ok I'll give it a go sometime smiley - drool

Thanks for the tip Fords. Mmmm - rye bagels sound good. I'll give them a try too.

smiley - cheers
f/b

Flour delivery day

Post 9

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

I had a look at your entry F/b - I used to own some of those books, English Bread and Yeast Cookery for e.g., but I got rid of far too many of my cookbooks before I came here, including my Times Cookbook smiley - doh and some triffic bread recipe books which were given to me by a proffesional baker smiley - flustered

Flour delivery day

Post 10

frenchbean

Elizabeth David's book is a real breadmakers' bible. It's full of the history as well as different recipes from over the years. I have a first edition, which despite its value, I use all the time smiley - tongueout

I am trying not to buy any more books - particularly cook books - until I'm settled in Australia. But it's very hard to resist smiley - biggrin

Fb

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for frenchbean

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more