A Conversation for Moon Moaners

I want more moons!

Post 81

Mullet

All of the moons wouldn't neccesarily be on the same side of the Earth at the same time. So the extra light might not be quite as much of a problem as it would first seem.

I want more moons!

Post 82

Recumbentman

In reply to my own question, if we count all the satellites and smaller bits we have put up into orbit, how many "moons" have we now?

http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/academy/rocket_sci/satellites/

says "Did you know there are over eight thousand artificial objects orbiting Earth? Over 2,500 are satellites, operative and inoperative. The remaining objects are orbital debris: parts such as nosecone shrouds, lens, hatch covers, rocket bodies, payloads that have disintegrated or exploded, and even objects that "escape" from manned spacecraft during operations."

Won't that do for the present?

I want more moons!

Post 83

Yinikarrka

Yinikarrka. I apply.

I want more moons!

Post 84

toybox

Done (at last smiley - erm)

Recumbentman - whether these orbiting pieces of junk are satisfying or not shouldn't prevent us from complaining smiley - winkeye. Actually, I think the NASA should complain, for it may make space travel difficult: I dare not think of a collision between a space rocket and a sandwich

Anyway though I personnally prefer larger objects which glow in the night, I have to concede that sending artificial satellites up there seems to be a nice effort made towards satisfaction of our claims.

I want more moons!

Post 85

Krabatt

It is becoming a bit of a junkyard out there.

Very funny indeed, Will that be the first sandwich-in-space that applies to become a member of this little gathering of moon moaners?What is the purpose of this gathering, don't you moan anymore?
What strikes me as odd is the fact that we only have ONE moon. It is always there and it changes its shape regular as clockwork. I find our single moon rather eerie.

I want more moons!

Post 86

Recumbentman

But so mystical, and so inspiring! I've had enough of moaning for now. smiley - moonsmiley - smiley

I want more moons!

Post 87

Krabatt

I haven't and I'm ready for an adventure.
Io and Europa are both smashing to look at.
Io, with its frozen sea, might even become the future habitat for galactic life once it has been moved in the direction of our sun and has been given time to develop an atmosphere.
Alas, for now it will prove to be difficult if not impossible to draw the bigger Galilean moons out of Jupiter's field of gravity.
So yes, we may try one of the smaller pebbles, for instance Elara with a diametre of 76 kilometres and in orbit at a distance of 11.480 kilometres from Jupiter.

It would do for a start.

I want more moons!

Post 88

Researcher 825122

Finally, that sounds like celestial music to my tiny ears. I start practising my maths in preparation of our adventure:
c square is the sum of a square plus b square.
9, 8, 7, 6.

I want more moons!

Post 89

Orion >> Chief Calculator of Temperol Dynamics >> moon moaner

Random fact time!!!

the only legal weapon in space is a hand gun in the Russians emergancy kit on the ISS. They started taking them back in the days of the USSR, guess its hard to break the habbit!

Orion

I want more moons!

Post 90

Fizzymouse- no place like home

Yea not just to save smiley - moon, but more smiley - moons please

I want more moons!

Post 91

(crazyhorse)impeach hypatia

(crazyhorse)Leave your name here and get added to the list.

I want more moons!

Post 92

aka Bel - A87832164

You'll be added as soon as possible smiley - smiley

I want more moons!

Post 93

toybox

As soon as possible being today and not yesterday as I had expected, yet: done!

And welcome to our new members Fizzymouse and (crazyhorse) smiley - smiley

smiley - bubbly

I want more moons!

Post 94

cupati

I be midgetmogget, and I want more moons!

Could be interesting for werewolves.

I want more moons!

Post 95

toybox

smiley - fullmoon

I want more moons!

Post 96

cupati

smiley - fullmoon indeed.

I want more moons!

Post 97

blake2go

blake2go
Other than a wife, when is one a good number?

I want more moons!

Post 98

aka Bel - A87832164

Wow, this thread is a blast from the past. smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post