This is the Message Centre for Icy North

h2g2 Participation Brainstorm

Post 81

FWR

Thats my point Dmitri, unless you can get past the 'oh dear, theyre all doctors of nuclear thermogeometrics' a lot of visitors will never get to see how cool you lot can be. I showed friends the site last weekend,both amateur writers with a wealth of bizarre knowledge that would make for some great Entries, both loved The Post but thought they may not 'fit in' with the megabrains on here. Will continue to dangle the if I can have a go anyone can carrot and keep on sharing the links on FB, maybe in time there'll be a " look we're not that scarey" smiley!

Post 82

Baron Grim

Just lead them to this classic entry on How to Make a Plastic Bag Bra and they'll know that you don't have to be serious or stuffily intellectual to fit right in here.

A450587

Post 83

Pastey

Or introduce them to 2legs smiley - biggrin

Post 84

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - rofl

That's right, FWR. If they still think we're hyperintellectual after the h2g2 Post, I don't know what to say. Except, tell 'em they'd be welcome, no matter what size tinfoil hat they wear.

Post 85

FWR

There is nothing wrong in a little microwave protection, you never know when THEY are listening in......( struggles not to insert smileyness)

Post 86

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

OH. damn... I didn't know we kneaded to be megaintelligent to join.... the T&Cs must have changeed since I signed up smiley - runsmiley - blush damnit.... must finish that tin foil hat entry for the subtle reminder smiley - laughsmiley - birosmiley - run

Post 87

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Forgive me if I missed something in the backlog, or any new features.

When I first logged in here, over 10 yeas ago, the first thing I wanted to do was pimp my personal space. It took several hours of reading the help pages before I figured it out.

Could we have a couple pages of 'boiler-plate' introductions one for plain and anther for Guide ML. Basic instructions could be included on the page itself (do we have a 'remark' function in the code? I never looked.)

The page could just be cut and pasted onto their intro with a few lines like 'Your name and/or handle goes here. and maybe a logo or two with links like the page listing the latest posts.

Just a thought.

Needless to say if there is any interest in this I would be glad to offer whatever help I can.

smiley - biggrin (just for FWR)

smiley - cheers

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 88

Pastey

That's a great idea, we've mooted something similar before, so having it pop up again is a sure sign it's a good one smiley - ok

Post 89

Trying to get newly registered users, to write something on their PS, is a really good idea, IMO... I'm sure this was mentioned before, too... like ages and ages ago smiley - laughsmiley - dohsmiley - erm I'm sure I also vaguely remember, its the kind of thing, whihc makes people a lot more likely to stick round, if they've actually 'done something', or 'put something', (however or whatever it might be), onto a site, say, by writing a few words on their PS, or 'personalising' it, through this in some way smiley - zen

Post 90

Woolly Mammoth

I've often wondered about whether it was possible to subscribe to ps by email automatically so people would know when the ace greater them.

Post 91

Murphy Snowfractal

I dunno. I'm new here. A more user-friendly, for dummies like me website perhaps?

Post 92

Pastey

As somebody who's new here (firstly, Hi!) I'd be very interested to hear ideas on what encouraged you to dip your toes, and what you think might encourage others smiley - smiley

Removed

Post 93

clare

This post has been removed.

Post 94

2legs, are you working on a tinfoil hat entry too. Dammit! What angle are you going for?

Post 95

I've not got very far... perhaps we should colaborate? I've gone for a sort of 45 degree angle, wtih a bit of a 90 degree one thrown in too. smiley - winkeye (was sort of gona go into sciency expliantion of feraday cage, but kinda more concentrate on it, as a short entry, outlining the 'sort of person' a 'tin bfoil hat wearer' might be; plus the uses of terminology related to 'tin foil hat wearer' etc... I kinda started it.. but... kinda forgot, and got a bit sort of stuck; then I couldn't find my thinking cap; put a tin foil hat on by mistake, and I was abduced by aliens again.... I think smiley - winkeyesmiley - sorry

Post 96

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

I don't know whether this will attract, or keep, newbies, but a bugbear I have is the lack of mass-deletions of threads which means the,t when opening My Space, it can look very intimidating, and difficult to find what is being sought.

If I could delete, easily, all unwanted threads or those of limited interest to me, it would make My Space easier to navigate, and so much cleaner.

Just my opinion…

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 97

Pastey

On the Pliny My Conversations pop up, there's an X next to the threads that allow you to unsubscribe from them, is that the sort of thing you're after MMF?

Post 98

Milla, h2g2 Operations

At the moment you will have to delete one convo at the time from your conversations page, but I will see if we have a request already for bulk delete.

smiley - towel

Post 99

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Yes, it's logged already.
smiley - towel

Post 100

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Thanks, Milla.

That was exactl y what I was after. So tedious doing them one at a time.

Something like holding the shift button and down at the same time to highlight, then delete would be fantastic!!!

smiley - biggrin

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Key: Complain about this post