Post 1

Uncle Heavy [sic]

Entry: Gender Agreements In English - A1100179
Author: Uncle Heavy - U129295

this is a silly and pedantic subject.

A1100179 - Gender Agreements In English

Post 2

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Does what it says on the tin smiley - smiley Rather short perhaps, but if that's all there is to be said on the subject why pad it out a bunch of waffle?

smiley - geeksmiley - online2longsmiley - stiffdrinksmiley - hangoversmiley - ok
Scout

Post 3

Uncle Heavy [sic]

precisely. why does it need to be longer?

Post 4

NightCrawler

Hi,

Where you use the French "Une Bouche" as an example, you do not explain why this is an example - this would only make sense if you speak French (or another gender based language). Maybe if you gave a different example, e.g Un Chien/Une Chienne (if my memory of French serves me correct) to illustrate the difference.

If not, maybe just add another sentance saying that "une" is the feminine version of "the" and female items, in French, always end in the lettert "e" (assuming that is the rule - can't remember myself smiley - doh).

- NC smiley - schooloffish

Post 5

Azara

Something about this entry makes me rather uneasy - maybe it's that you say that there are almost no gender agreements now but you don't say what they were in Old English. The one odd example appears to have come from French, and it seems to be just a fluke that this particular word retained the /e ending when it was assimilated into English. At the moment, soigné / soignée still has the same difference, but it's only half-assimilated into English.

Azara
smiley - rose

Post 6

anhaga

(gets out his Old English Grammar to brush up on gender agreement)

I'm uneasy because now I suspect Azara is going to ask me for clarification on Old English gender agreement.smiley - laugh I found that the entry wasn't really about "Gender Agreement in English" - it's about "The Absence of Gender Agreement in English".

And, perhaps I'm a little naif, but doesn't the Oxford English Dictionary have at least one other example of British Franglais similar to "blond/blonde"?

smiley - winkeye

Post 7

anhaga

Actually, the gendered endings were well on the way to invisibility by the Old English period. Here are links for strong and weak adjectives:

http://www.ucalgary.ca/UofC/eduweb/engl401/grammar/sadj.htm
http://www.ucalgary.ca/UofC/eduweb/engl401/grammar/wadj.htm

The situation with adjectival endings is a little oversimplified in these links, but not on the gender front.

Post 8

Uncle Heavy [sic]

im just going on what ive been told. blond is an established english word, one that no longer counts as an assimilation in quite the same way as soigne, but i could add a paragraph about those as well smiley - smiley

Post 9

anhaga

Maybe I'm naive, but wouldn't a more fitting title be something like "blond and blonde in English" or "grammatically blond(e)" or "blonde on blond" or "the dark roots of blond(e) in English" or . . .

you get my pointsmiley - smiley

Post 10

Uncle Heavy [sic]

that would certainly make the article sound more interesting than it really is...

Post 11

Sam

Have we reached a plateau? Can we squeeze anything else out of this pithy offering? Is it ready yet? smiley - smiley

Post 12

Uncle Heavy [sic]

do you reckon i should change the title?

Post 13

Sam

Gender Benders? Or how about, The Role of Gender In English Grammar? But that's also a bit misleading, for as you say, blond and blonde is the only example of this role. Mmmm... your call UH!smiley - biggrin

I reckon this is ready.smiley - ok

Post 14

Number Six

smiley - 2cents I quite liked anhaga's suggestion of "The Dark Roots of Blond(e) in English", for whatever that's worth...

smiley - mod

Post 15

Sam

Excellent smiley - laugh

Post 16

Uncle Heavy [sic]

bling bling.

done that smiley - smiley

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 17

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 18

anhaga

smiley - bubbly

I especially like the titlesmiley - laugh

Post 19

Uncle Heavy [sic]

considering you suggested it smiley - winkeye

Post 20

anhaga

I really do like the entry; I just thought the original title didn't quite match what the entry is saying. I often find that titles around here don't quite match the content . . .

smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post