The Dark Roots Of Blond(e) In The English Language

2 Conversations


In many languages, the gender of a noun, adjective or verb1 is an important grammatical issue. A word's gender makes no practical difference to its meaning or application in the main, but it usually governs ending or agreement variables that the word may include, and often also its preceding article. For instance, a postman in French is un facteur, while a postwoman is une factrice.


Nouns do not usually change gender, so they do not change as a general rule. The most important aspect of gender, then, is adjectival agreement. Adjectives are gender neutral; they have no gender of their own. Instead, they take the gender of the noun they govern. In most languages, this means a change in the spelling, and sometimes the pronunciation, of the adjective depending on which gender they are meant to reflect.


Modern English is, however, largely free of these agreements, having gradually done away with them over the course of its evolution. In fact, there is only one adjective that still needs to be changed depending on whether it is employed to describe a man or a woman2. This word is blond, which gains an e when applied to a female subject. No other adjective in the language undergoes a change like this in the modern tongue.

1A verb with a gender is less common; Russian is a good example of a language which does have them2All other word genders having died out along with adjectival endings: the language is almost completely gender free

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1100179

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more