This is the Message Centre for Deb

NaJoPoMo 2014 /day 25 - A Leisurely Morning at Home

Post 1

Deb

I'm going out straight from work tonight so to ensure it's not too long a day for my dog I've taken a half day holiday.

How wonderful a morning without plans is. I got up at 8am, which is a wonderfully civilised time to get out of bed. I cranked up the heating to 17 and spent 20 minutes on-line checking emails & whatever while the dog had a mooch in the garden, then cooked up beans, mushrooms & egg on toast for breakfast.

After breakfast I took the dog for a walk. I took his ball & chukkit so he got a good run to help make up for the fact he'll only get 10 minutes when I get home tonight. I don't feel bad about this because in general I'm an antisocial creature and the times I leave him for a social event are few & far between.

It's a beautiful morning out there. It's really, really cold, the grass is white & crunchy, the sky is blue with white clouds and it's very still. I thoroughly enjoyed my walk, although I now realise I need some thermal socks to go in my wellies as my toes are frozen solid smiley - brr. Days like this make me happy to be alive, the air's so fresh and crisp and there's not a trace of grey to be found.

I now have a couple of hours to mooch round before heading out for what will probably be a pleasant and quicker than usual drive to work. Then tonight I'm going to a tapas bar called Byzantium in Kings Heath, meeting the people who used to make up the bustling accounts department of 10+ years ago. We've all kept in touch and meet up once or twice a year, which is lovely (and just the right amount of social pressure for me smiley - rofl). The last time we met up was in March, actually at the same place, so there'll be lots to talk about.

I feel very smiley - zen today.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 2

minorvogonpoet

Sounds good. smiley - ok

Post 3

towelshop

smiley - smiley

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Mushrooms, beans, and egg on toast? smiley - drool

Post 5

FWR

Forget the toasty stuff...tapas mmmmmmsmiley - cheers

Post 6

Tapas are good, too, and quite varied. Don't you need tiny little plates for them, though? I have plenty, by the way. smiley - smiley

Post 7

SashaQ - happysad

Sounds good indeed - I like the sound of that breakfast too smiley - drool

I hope you had a good evening smiley - biggrin

Post 8

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

[Amy P]

Post 9

Deb

The tapas were extremely delicious. One of my favourite dishes was chicken liver in sherry, I ordered that one as no-one else had. Oh yum. Also the patatas alioli (or something) - smiley - drool

And the company was fab, we're such old friends that it's effortless even when we haven't seen each other since March.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 10

"patatas alioli (or something) "

Is that garlicky potatoes?

Post 11

Deb

Yes, it seemed to be crispy sautéed potato cubes in a garlicky sauce. Oh my goodness smiley - drool

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 12

You can call me TC

Ooh! Chicken livers in sherry sauce - that's my favourite tapa, too!

Post 13

They sound tasty, that's for sure.

I don't think I've had liver in the last twenty years....

Post 14

Deb

I've never had chicken liver before, only chicken liver pate, and these were so tender they were practically pate smiley - drool

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 15

On the other hand, tenderness can be a problem. Brussels sprouts are okay raw, but even a little cooking can make them soft and disgusting smiley - yuk. Unless you marinate them in lemon juice. smiley - drool

Post 16

You can call me TC

They are as delicious as chestnuts if you simply boil them till they're still firm, but not al dente. Make sure there's enough salt in the water. Pour them into a colander and pour really cold water immediately after. They turn a lovely colour and lose their yukky taste. Warm them up again in a little butter or just steam.

At Christmas serve with half the amount again of green grapes or chestnuts, mixed together when re-heating.

Roll on Christmas and chestnuts!

Post 17

The only time I enjoyed them was when my sister-in-law marinated them in orange juice or lemon juice. smiley - drool

Post 18

You can call me TC

Was that before or after cooking? I am quite intrigued and willing to try that out this year - so please elaborate!

Post 19

Deb

I'm a big fan of Brussels sprouts I even eat them when it's not Christmas

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 20

SashaQ - happysad

I like Brussels Sprouts, too - cooked just right, they are delicious, and my dad's home grown ones are even better smiley - drool

I laughed at my online shopping last month, though - I ordered 100g of sprouts, and was a bit confused when it said 4 on the bill, but just assumed that would mean 4 scoops of loose sprouts. No, it was just 4 huge sprouts... smiley - laugh They went a bit soft inside when they were cooked, but not too bad.

Key: Complain about this post