A Conversation for History of the Post

Peer Review: A1067429 - History of the Post

Post 1

Peculiar Aunt

Entry: History of the Post - A1067429
Author: Peculiar Aunt - U228588

The History of the Post - a vital part of life on Earth!

A1067429 - History of the Post

Post 2

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

If you want anyone using Goo to read this you're going to have put it back into white text. Dark text on a dark blue background... not good.

Post 3

Z

This is an interesting artilce on an interesting topic, there's just a few structural changes you need to make. H2g2 has a house style, and that includes the fonts that are used so it would be easier if you removed the font tag from you GML completely!

Don't worry it's a good artilce smiley - wow

Post 4

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I suspected when I saw the subject matter that it might be you, PA!

I agree with both comments above. Plus it's an interesting entry.

I have vague memories of people having to go to great lengths to 'get a frank' for letters in period novels. I had no idea of where the term 'frank' came from - until now. Yet your entry does not mention this. Is there anything to add on this subject?

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Post 5

Gordon, Ringer of Bells, Keeper of Postal Codes and Maps No One Can Re-fold Properly

I like this entry. smiley - ok

As others have suggested, the formating will probably be removed from the entry when it goes through the editing process so that it will have a look-and-feel consistent with the other edited entries.

Cheers! smiley - smiley

smiley - teasmiley - towel

Post 6

J

Great start!

Besides formatting issues, the title seems to suggest a broader subject than what it covers. You could consider changing the title to 'The History of the Post of Britian' or some such, though it doesn't sound as good smiley - erm. An entry on History of the Post would probably need to cover more than Britian (Though with the British control of this site, who knows smiley - laugh)

smiley - ok

smiley - blacksheep

Post 7

Peculiar Aunt

Is there anything you know that I could add to my entry? I've proibably missed out quite a lot!

Post 8

"the formating will probably be removed from the entry when it goes through the editing process"

No, the formatting *will* be removed during the editing process - if it's still there. Any chance of me and all other Gooey Scouts ever being able to read this one without highlighting the text, PA? Please, take out all the font tags smiley - smiley

Post 9

Pongo

I like this entry smiley - ok

First a typo:
"... ... of Franklin marks (after Benjamin Franklin, the Deputy Postmaster General)."

should read:
"... ... or Franklin marks (after Benjamin Franklin, the Deputy Postmaster General).

Secondly any chance of mentioning how Post codes came about?

Post 10

Peculiar Aunt

I've taken them out

Post 11

Peculiar Aunt

Thanks, Pongo - I'll look it up now!
Thanks for the "Terrific Typo Tip!"

Post 12

McKay The Disorganised

Good stuff smiley - ok

Post 13

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Yes, looking good, PA! smiley - ok

Post 14

Thanks for removing the font tags, and what a fine entry emerges into the light smiley - ok

I'm in agreement with whoever it was suggested changing the title - something like 'The History of the British Postal Service' might work better.

Were there really no other letters whatsoever other than those between the King and the Court? None at all?

Do any of the post roads still exist as recognisable roads today? Did any of them use existing Roman Roads? I'd be fascinated to know about that smiley - smiley

"The man who pioneered the greatest postal reforms was Rowland Hill."
That doesn't look quite right - should 'reforms' be singular? Maybe it could be re-worded 'It was Rowland Hill who instigated the greatest reform of the postal service.' Was he knighted for it, or did he receive a peerage? I can't recall.

In the section about postcodes you say that it was first used in Norwich in the 1959, but then go on to say that the earliest form of postcode was introduced in 1857. That doesn't sound quite right, temporally speaking smiley - winkeye Although you go on to say that you're talking about postal *districts* in the second paragraph, I think that section needs to be a little clearer.

All in all a very good entry. I'm willing to bet it'll be on the front page soon smiley - smiley

Post 15

Peculiar Aunt

Thank you! Your're brilliant, everyone! It was my first entry, and I'm glad you all seem to like it! We'll get it on the front page!

Post 16

Peculiar Aunt

I see what you mean about the postcodes bit, Gosho! I'm not entirely sure how to re-word it though. What I mean to say is that the PRESENT type of post code was first used in 1959, but the ORIGINAL type of postcode was introduced in 1857. Perhaps I should rearange the sentences and have the bit about the first postcode at the beginning of the section and the one about the present postcode afterwards.

Also, I found out (and added to my entry) that Rowland Hill was knighted in 1960 "for his service to the Empire". Anything else I can add about him?

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 17

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 18

Well done smiley - cheers

Post 19

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Yes, great stuff. Congratulations! smiley - bubbly

Brilliant!

Post 20

Peculiar Aunt

Right - we made it so thank you to:
Gosho,
Z,
Zarquon,
Gordon,
Jodan,
Pongo,
and McKay

(and anyone I might have missed out)

and the scout who reccommended this entry to the editors!
(please own up!)

Key: Complain about this post